🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Mentoring
Page options
neyf_almeida_tr
Community Member

Mentoring

Dear,

I hope this e-mail finds you well.

I have been working as a freelance translator (English/German/Spanish to Portuguese) for many years now and I would like to be coached by a senior (copy)writer as I am taking the first steps into this career.

If you are a well stablished copywriter and is available to provide guidance, please get in touch!

Best regards,

9 REPLIES 9
carloslobo28
Community Member

Dear, you may want to post a job as a client and then you may have hundreds of people wanting to mentor you.

Hi Carlos,

thanks for your response. I really appreciate it 🙂

I came up with 2 additional questions:

1) Could you please let me know how to post the job as a client? I am kind of new on UpWork, so I'm still trying to make sense of it all 🙂

2) I see you have completed quite a few jobs on UpWork. Would you be available to give me some guidance? I would be happy to discuss the terms if you have availability.

Besides, I am moving to Argentina next week, so it's always nice network with locals that work in the area 🙂

I look very much forward to hearing from you!

Un saludo!

Neyf: I meant posting the job as client for paying for mentoring, I don't talk nonsense it's a habit in people whom need help. You go to setting and select Create client account. 

You meant I can be your mentor? Haha! What are you coming to do in Argentina?

Hi Carlos,

thanks for the quick response. I will take that in mind. I didn't ask you to be my mentor, but I saw you completed some jobs in UpWork and I'm starting my Freelancing in this website, so it would be nice to get some tipps from you, if you are available.

I am moving to Buenos Aires next week 🙂

Hi Neyf,

The tip I can give you is to be concise in your cover letter, you may have lots of certificates and so on, that is ok but you need to select only the one or two more important, relevant to the job. I doubt whether this site is very formal, but what it's sure, it's business, there are gigs, almost to client is evauluating you for a life job, in that way it's quite informal. I prefer focusing in delivery time, say my experience shortly, not to bore the client.

The other is that you need to be daring with your rates, just try the clients and see what happens. First time I entered working in a talent cloud I was paid 3 cents a word and since then I ask for that amount for most jobs. Ask what you feel worth yourself, sure you will find the right clients. Personally my hourly rate is 15 that enables me to work for entry level, intermediate, expert. If you ask 20 an hour you need not to bid for entry level.

You may get frustrated at not receiving any jobs but the key is persistence.

You may have noticed that most jobs requires a plus skill, as translating in HTML, XML, JSON, with SEO in mind, to know about ads, I've a good luck a few clients chose me cause I know about ads. Many clients requires experience translating listings for ecommerce also with SEO. So you need to be prepared for some of these scenarios to get advantage above others. 

The Community Forum may be used by all Upwork users to post questions and discuss topics relating to Upwork.

It is not appropriate for clients to post jobs in the Forum.

It is not approprite for freelancers to advertise themselves in the Forum.

This includes reqests for mentoring.

Asking for a mentor in the Forum is a violation of Community Guidelines.

It is fine to hire mentors and post requests for training in the main site at http://www.upwork.com.

Hi Preston,

I am new on upwork.com. I didn't know I couldn't post a mentoring request in this section. It seemed the most appropriate one.

I will see if it's possible to remove the post.

Thanks for your response!

Best regards,

Perfect, thanks a lot!

Neyf:

You do not need to remove or edit any posts here.

You are not going to be in any trouble or anything.

Community Guidelines can be found here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Basics/Upwork-Community-Guidelines/td-p/259905

If you read these very closely, you will not see any mention of requests for mentoring. I am informing you about what could be referred to as an "unwritten rule."

This a logical extension of our understanding of the respective purposes of the Community Forum and the main Upwork job-hiring site. Whenever anybody tries to post a job here in the Forum, we always refer to them to the main site.