🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Minimum charge for proofreading.
Page options
achareorock
Community Member

Minimum charge for proofreading.

Hi community, please i am a top rated freelancer(translation) on upwork and i also do proofreading.
I always get lost when a client ask for a flat rate without me knowing the nature nature of the file.
Please can someone tell me a least amount a freelancer can charge for proofreading?
I always loose jobs due to my lack of negotiation skills.
Thanks
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Achare ashurock J wrote:
Hi community, please i am a top rated freelancer(translation) on upwork and i also do proofreading.
I always get lost when a client ask for a flat rate without me knowing the nature nature of the file.
Please can someone tell me a least amount a freelancer can charge for proofreading?
Thanks

Don't ever agree to do any work without seeing what is involved first (whether it is translation or proofreading). If the client refuses to share this, then you don't want to work with him or her.  You cannot give a rate without knowing what the work involves.

If a client wants a fixed price quote, then he or she must provide the material so that you can work out how long it will take you to complete. So if you think it will take you two hours and your hourly rate is $XXX  per hour, that is what you quote. 

Achare, just a small heads up, don't offer English proofreading. I don't want to be harsh, but while your English is good, it is not up to editing or proofreading. Stick to translation for the moment. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
colettelewis
Community Member

Achare ashurock J wrote:
Thanks

Don't ever agree to do any work without seeing what is involved first (whether it is translation or proofreading). If the client refuses to share this, then you don't want to work with him or her.  You cannot give a rate without knowing what the work involves.

If a client wants a fixed price quote, then he or she must provide the material so that you can work out how long it will take you to complete. So if you think it will take you two hours and your hourly rate is $XXX  per hour, that is what you quote. 

Achare, just a small heads up, don't offer English proofreading. I don't want to be harsh, but while your English is good, it is not up to editing or proofreading. Stick to translation for the moment. 

achareorock
Community Member

Thanks Nichola. I am really grateful for you honest reply espercially the last one.

But please can you throw more light on the last one? I just want to understand more

Jonathan

Achare, I just sent you a pm. 

Best, 

Nichola