Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some feedback on my Profile from a Guru

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
11 of 19

@Iman K wrote:

Dear Reinier,

thank you so much for your swift response. You mean the article wrote in Feminist Africa? I wrote the article, but someone else edited it. So what you mean like chalk and cheese? I have different writing styles adapted to the subject. Do you suggest to remove the Nomad's Home article? Best. Iman

Iman,

I am not suggesting that you remove the piece at all. I was just struck by the difference in style and register between the portfolio piece and your profile overview. "Chalk and cheese" means that the two texts are as dissimilar as chalk and cheese, which means that if the differences are a result of the editing process, then your editor virtually rewrote the piece.

Community Leader
Iman K Member Since: Jan 30, 2017
12 of 19

Dear Reinier,

are you hinting to the fact, that my overview is not well crafted? Do you suggest I work again on the overview? But the overview is a diferent style of writing altogether. I would love to hear your suggestions on this. Best iman

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
13 of 19

To which audience are you trying to appeal?

Creative writing encompasses different aspects of writing. Are you offering to write/edit screenplays? Fiction? Non-fiction? 

You've written quite the wall of text. MOST clients are going to read your first line and then skip to another freelancer. 

That's great that your writing skills "got refined" via different academic and professional experiences. However, this is not telling potential clients how that translates into your skillset benefitting them directly. 

Marketing: Segment. Target. Position. 

You're trying to appeal to a broad client population. Focus on how one or two of your skills can assist your target population. 

Too many new freelancers make the mistake of using their profile as a biographical spiel. While some of this is needed to highlight expertise, if you make it ALLLLL about this, it will turn them off (or you'll attract scammers and lowballers).

Just some thoughts...

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
14 of 19

What Kat said, but I will simplify it by saying that you should make your overview resemble your portfolio pieces in terms of style, register, and punctuation- among other things.

Community Leader
15 of 19

Thank you so much for this advise. I will be working on my overview today to make it better. With my warmest regards. Iman

Community Leader
16 of 19

Dear Reinier,

I worked today on my overview. I would like to kindly review it once more time and give some feedback, if your time and energy allows it. With my warmest regards. Iman

Community Leader
17 of 19

Dear Kat, 

Thank you so much for your diligence to give such deep feedback. I will be working once again on my overview today. And hope that it gets better and better. With my warmest regards. Iman

Community Leader
18 of 19

Dear Kat, I worked on my profile today and if you have this space and time, could you please review it once again. I really would love to get my first job at Upwork as soon as possible. 

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
19 of 19

@Iman K wrote:

Dear Kat, I worked on my profile today and if you have this space and time, could you please review it once again. I really would love to get my first job at Upwork as soon as possible. 

Great editing Iman!

It's much more succinct and user-friendly. 

Have you researched other freelancers in the creative writing field on Upwork who are Top-Rated and/or have many successfully completed jobs?

There are other factors to consider, but those are a few to delve into. Your profile may evolve over time as Upwork is a different world and requires a certain marketing approach that may not be altogether transferrable to the Brick and Mortar space (or other freelance platforms?).

All the Best,

Kat

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS