🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » No credits given
Page options
mgbenwelumichael
Community Member

No credits given

I finished writing some articles for a client on Upwork for his website, I checked now and he has uploaded the articles on his website but I wasn't given the credits, instead there was another name on the article. Now my problem is how I would be able to convince someone else that I wrote those articles. Is this normal? Please advice me if there's something to be done.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pradeep H wrote:

Hello Chidi,

Thank you for reporting this to us. Could you please click on my picture next to this post and send me a private message with more information including the contract or job post link for the flagged client so I could forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action?

Thanks

Pradeep H.

What action do you intent to take? The client paid for the article and can do with it whatever he wants. He owns it. This is the part of the ToS.
All the OP can do is ask for permission add the article to his portfolio, but I doubt the client will agree to that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PradeepH

Hello Chidi,

Thank you for reporting this to us. Could you please click on my picture next to this post and send me a private message with more information including the contract or job post link for the flagged client so I could forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action?

Thanks

Pradeep H.

Upwork

Pradeep H wrote:

Hello Chidi,

Thanks

Pradeep H.

What action do you intent to take? The client paid for the article and can do with it whatever he wants. He owns it. This is the part of the ToS.
All the OP can do is ask for permission add the article to his portfolio, but I doubt the client will agree to that.

Well, thanks. I didn't know about this before now. I don't plan on taking any (negative) actions on the matter. It was just surprising seeing a different name on the articles, so I just needed to know if it's right and a normal occurrence, and I wanted to know if I could include the articles to my portfolio too.

jr-translation
Community Member

Chidi M wrote:
I finished writing some articles for a client on Upwork for his website, I checked now and he has uploaded the articles on his website but I wasn't given the credits, instead there was another name on the article. Now my problem is how I would be able to convince someone else that I wrote those articles. Is this normal? Please advice me if there's something to be done.

Yes, this is normal. Once the client paid you for the work, he owns it and can claim authorship. The only thing to be done from your side is read the ToS.

millermelanie
Community Member

When you write for someone else and he pays you for it, you are the ghostwriter. My clients almost always put their own names on my work. The right to do that is part of what they pay for. If you don't think that's a fair deal, you can raise your rates to cover that. I have only had a very few clients who will include my name as a "co-author," even when I wrote the entire thing. I guess they claim equal credit for having the original idea.  I do write occasionally for a client who has a blog that she solicits articles for and generously gives full credit to her contributors.