cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No sense trend: Copy scape on translation

ALEJANDRO A Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
1 of 8

I always decline this kind of ridiculous demand.

A translator is the person who turns a text form language A into language B.

If topic to be translated is too common, translation will be a very common content; and Hey! Smart buyers, if source text is a copy cat content, translation won’t hide your fault; and you cannot blame translator!    

Freelancer translators: don’t get trapped with this kind of unfair demand.

Just click on “decline” link.   

Alejandro A.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

I have never seen that requirement on a translation job in all my 5 years here.

Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3 of 8

I saw it today for my first time. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
4 of 8

If you are referring to the same offer I saw (from Ukraine), the whole thing is quite strange (and bad paid). 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 8

that's a weird requirement and yeah I'd stay away from that one. It's kinda funny cuz now that I no longer do the low paid junk, nobody ever brings up copyscape except for that one seo "expert" I dealt with off platform. Funniest convo all year. 

Him: You should use copyscape. How do you know your writing is unique?

Me: uhh, cuz I don't copy?

Him: Here is my copyscape login so you can use it.

Me: Yeah sure ok pal thx.

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
6 of 8

@Jennifer M wrote:

Him: You should use copyscape. How do you know your writing is unique?

Me: uhh, cuz I don't copy?

Him: Here is my copyscape login so you can use it.

Me: Yeah sure ok pal thx.

Ha Ha! Saying that.. I have used CopyScape to find out if other people are stealing my content (I use to have a problem with scrapers stealing my photographs and blog content). I never thought to use it to check "whether I plagiarized" since I do not. 

On another platform, a client who speaks English as a second language flipped out because my article had "CopyScapes". In this case, it was because it was written about a proprietary product that his client happened to sell. I listed the products ingredient list and that had three CopyScape matches. I also included an attributed quote from a celebrity who endorses this product. The client wanted the quote and ingredient list, but wanted me to change them so they are "unique". I tried to explain that ingredient are usually listed in order of concentration so changing it makes it inaccurate. I also tried to explain that a quote should match what the person actually said. He reported me on that platform for plagiarism. I ended up removing the quote and rearranging the ingredient list so he would accept the article. To this client "CopyScape" match = plagiarism. Simply paraphrasing so there are no "CopyScapes" = original content. 

Now, I do run my content through CopyScape if I think there is a possibility the client might care. I usually mention the matches in the case of things like quotes, ingredient lists, etc. I am  currently at a lower price point than you, but I am not accepting super cheap, SEO ghostwriting work either. (The cheaper jobs on my profile were very short form social media content or bylined articles that link to my blog). Only a couple of my Upwork clients have mentioned CopyScape though. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 8

There are certain things that will never pass copyscape. Recipes are a good example.

As a side note, Google does recognize certain standard disclaimer content that errrryone has for like attorney websites and such. This does not "hurt your seo" as some stupid seos claim.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 8

On a semi-unrelated note, I recently got marked down for a university assignment because my Turnitin percentage was too high. Nearly all of the Turnitin matches were either in the university's own cover sheet which everyone has to use, or in my reference list because I was referencing the website of the supplier we'd been told to reference... Virtually none of the matches were in my actual assignment content.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS