🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » No topic provided for article.
Page options
m_ten_dam
Community Member

No topic provided for article.

Client requested article, but forgot to mention the topic. They did send a link to an article that they like and requested something similar. I've asked them about it, but they still haven't responded appropriately. The deadline is tomorrow? What should I do?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

Mariska T wrote:
Client requested article, but forgot to mention the topic. They did send a link to an article that they like and requested something similar. I've asked them about it, but they still haven't responded appropriately. The deadline is tomorrow? What should I do?

This sounds like a fixed-price project.  In that case don't worry about deadlines.  Nothing will happen if you submit a day or two later.  

Before you accept a job, make sure you have all of the materials you need to begin as clients sometimes disappear as you've discovered.  If the client wants you to complete this work, they will respond eventually.  Tomorrow I would follow-up again and politely say you cannot start on this project unless you have confirmation on the theme.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
robin_hyman
Community Member

Mariska T wrote:

This sounds like a fixed-price project.  In that case don't worry about deadlines.  Nothing will happen if you submit a day or two later.  

Before you accept a job, make sure you have all of the materials you need to begin as clients sometimes disappear as you've discovered.  If the client wants you to complete this work, they will respond eventually.  Tomorrow I would follow-up again and politely say you cannot start on this project unless you have confirmation on the theme.  

Thanks. I did that this afternoon already and it almost seemed like they didn't understand the question. 🙂 Luckily they just came back to me with the topic. I'll keep your advice in mind for next time...

Mariska T wrote:
Thanks. I did that this afternoon already and it almost seemed like they didn't understand the question. 🙂 Luckily they just came back to me with the topic. I'll keep your advice in mind for next time...

Terrific!  Was the topic the same as the link they sent you?  

I would never assume like Heather....

No. It was not. I'm glad I asked. 🙂

Robin H wrote:

This is not necessarily correct. Late delivery could result in poor feedback and count against one's JSS. It is always best to discuss this with the client if it is not possible to deliver by the date agreed. 

Robin H wrote:

Unless, of course, the client gives a negative rating because of it. You'd hope that wouldn't happen when the client was the hold-up, but that's no guarantee.

ladyelexia
Community Member

Mariska T wrote:
They did send a link to an article that they like and requested something similar. 

The link they sent is the topic they want you to write, something similar as in the same topic in a similar style or that covers similar information.