cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Offers Services that Violate e-mail

Brij V Member Since: Oct 17, 2016
1 of 20

Hello everyone,

I am new to UpWork and have submitted a profile. I have a PhD in the sciences and have been editing grants and articles for 20+ years for submission in North America and Europe.

I submitted my profile and just received this e-mail from UpWork that I: Offers services that violate, or has the potential to violate, the integrity of academic and professional applications.

What does this even mean and how do I correct it?

Thanks

Ace Contributor
Patricia V Member Since: Aug 3, 2016
2 of 20

Hello Brij.

What services are you offering? And what did you write in your overview?

3 of 20

Hi,

It is simply editing of thesis, journal articles, grants and proposals. Nothing dramatic beyond that. 

The only thing I could think is maybe my range of science work might seem too broad. Which it is because of fluctuating grants, and I have been at it for almost 30 years.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 20

@Brij V wrote:

Hi,

It is simply editing of thesis, journal articles, grants and proposals. Nothing dramatic beyond that. 

The only thing I could think is maybe my range of science work might seem too broad. Which it is because of fluctuating grants, and I have been at it for almost 30 years.

Unless a moderator can state otherwise, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Being a well-rounded scientist doesn't equate with an Upwork TOS violation...

At least not from what I've studied on Upwork. 

Highlighted
5 of 20

Hi Kat,

I also mentioned quite a few governmental granting agencies in the US, Europe and Canada that I have helped people apply to. Would that do it?

Community Guru
6 of 20

Interesting...

I don't think so. After all, many agencies hire grant writers to...well, as you know, write the grant. Unless I'm missing something in Upwork's TOS, grant writing isn't plagiarism (as comparing it to writing someone's term paper or doctoral thesis and passing it off as someone else's writing). 

It may take a while for CS to get back to you, but they will respond. 

Also, when moderators cruise through, they'll clarify for you (to a point...some things aren't shared publicly per community guidelines).

Have you read Upwork's TOS to get an idea what it might be? I highly recommend anyone new to Upwork read that first as it can save massive headaches down the line.

7 of 20

Hi Kat,

Yes, I went through the TOS and couldn't find anything that I may have violated.

The e-mail from Upwork seemed bizarre to me. It began as: 

During our regular reviews of the Freelancer community I noticed that your profile: 

and ended with the name of the person from the Safety and Trust thing who sent it.

Community Guru
8 of 20

Editing is one thing (I'm an editor of a broad range of writing including academic papers), but is there something you might have written that ventured into offering to write academic papers for students (i.e. fraud/plagiarism)?

9 of 20

Not at all. I used to be a scientist and have mentored and taught students in university so I am quite aware of that type of thing. 

I asked the person from UpWork to articulate the problem, but have not heard anything back. I deleted my old profile and am starting new.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 20

@Brij V wrote:

Not at all. I used to be a scientist and have mentored and taught students in university so I am quite aware of that type of thing. 

I asked the person from UpWork to articulate the problem, but have not heard anything back. I deleted my old profile and am starting new.

Brij, you're not allowed to have more than one profile on the site. If they suspended your old profile, you can't just open a new one to get around the suspension. The best idea would be to open a support ticket.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS