cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Translation Jobs

Angelito P Member Since: Mar 8, 2015
1 of 7

What is the generally accepted speed when it comes to translation jobs? Like how many words per hour? Thanks!

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 7

@Angelito P wrote:

What is the generally accepted speed when it comes to translation jobs? Like how many words per hour? Thanks!

It's your actual speed/daily output. You can't translate faster right? So that's it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Angelito P Member Since: Mar 8, 2015
3 of 7

Thank you. Do you think it is reasonable for a client to expect an entry or immediate level contractor to translate around 1000 words in an hour?

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
4 of 7

@Angelito P wrote:

Thank you. Do you think it is reasonable for a client to expect an entry or immediate level contractor to translate around 1000 words in an hour?

Sure, but only if the client does not mind you using Google Translate. Did you ask him about that?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 7

@Angelito P wrote:

It would be a superhero level contractor.

I guess you're not a translator. You wouldn't have asked this question. 2000-3000 words a day is good. If you use a CAT and the source text has many similar segments, you can do 4000.

1000/hour is, as Reiner said, raw MT. :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 7

As a translation client, I generally expect my freelancers to do somewhere around 3000 words a day if they're not working on other projects...but I know that will go up and down over time, and that some languages are faster/slower than others.

But yeah, I would never expect 1000 words in an hour. When I'm trialling new translators I give them a job for less than 1000 words and a week to finish it...

Community Leader
Claudia B Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
7 of 7

I did 480 words in one hour yesterday. I had to rush a little bit, but it turned out well. Client was happy, because it was urgent. I got  ★★★★★.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS