🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Personal Info Included in Job Descriptions
Page options
l_miguez
Community Member

Personal Info Included in Job Descriptions

I've noticed that people (often agencies) looking for translators often post the file to be translated in the job descriptions. The problem is a lot of those documents are birth certificates, banking info, personal contracts, etc. There should be a way to flag these immediately. 

Identity theft is a real thing, and I don't think it's funny that a whole slew of people might be looking at personal info of people. (Besides, at least in Canada, certified translators must agree not to share private information or benefit from it. It is condifential, not something that is to be posted on a firum for all to see!)

6 REPLIES 6
pandoraharper
Community Member

@Linda M wrote:

I've noticed that people (often agencies) looking for translators often post the file to be translated in the job descriptions. The problem is a lot of those documents are birth certificates, banking info, personal contracts, etc. There should be a way to flag these immediately. 

Identity theft is a real thing, and I don't think it's funny that a whole slew of people might be looking at personal info of people. (Besides, at least in Canada, certified translators must agree not to share private information or benefit from it. It is condifential, not something that is to be posted on a firum for all to see!)

Linda,

This is a great point, and I am sure that translators will chime in.

I do however, notice something in your post that makes me wonder.

Right now, where you are reading this...This is the Upwork Community Forums. I have to assume that you are refering to job posts, which are on the main Upwork site.

Just making sure you were aware of this.

colettelewis
Community Member

@Linda M wrote:

You are quite right. 

I have seen many legal as well as medical translation jobs posted on Upwork that show a  patient's name and all the medical details. I once saw a document between the US government and the French that was so confidential, that I reported it to the French authoriities.

It has been discussed quite a bit in the forum, but nothing ever seems to be done about it. I have stopped reporting this sort of job.

lysis10
Community Member

Yep. That's why you got to be careful who you give your info too. People are dumb. Just look at all the people who post their driver's license, passports and bank account statements on the forum. LOL

If there is something the Internet has always offered is a global market for dumb people to collaborate.

Image result for internet dumb people meme

l_miguez
Community Member

I actually saw one from here in Alberta, Canada. I searched the company and sure enough it's a translation agaency in Edmonton. They needed a personal business contract translated from Spain. I was appalled but didn't quite know how to report it to. (Obviously, people who go there believe the agency has a group of translators but they don't and are contracting out work - that is okay, but they don't need to publish private documents publically.)

Yesterday, somebody's birth certificate was published online. 

I am wondering if there are Google guidelines regarding this - or the next time I see this I should just go to the BBB here and report them since Upwork won't handle it properly.

lysis10
Community Member

The people who do qa aren’t in the US so they don’t care. This is one of their major problems and why a birth certificates stay up. Is the birth certificate posted by some dummy person or is it a business? I’d probably waste connects to find out the entity, take a screenshot and post it somewhere to warn people not to do business with that entity.
noelia_berna
Community Member

@Linda M wrote:

Absolutely, Linda, it is a huge violation of Data Protection Act. People should be very careful with that, it is a real offense and clearly typified. Not a joke...

Noelia B.