🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Plagiarism
Page options
3a3c2ee8
Community Member

Plagiarism

I hired someone for academic writing on fixed price basis. I mentioned clearly in the messages that I was in tight-schedule and had wanted it done within 24 hours. I've also stated in the task description regarding the plagiarism issue.

"EXTRA!
• Put the ideas into your own words and avoid copying phrases/sentences directly. I would check the similarity report upon receive the work"

I requested a draft before the due date/time, but the freelancer replied with "Your work will be ok." He submitted his work on time tho. However, once i checked for the similarity report, it turns out to be 80%. How could this be possible? He clearly direct copied every words that he'd read/found. I only had few hours left to turn it in, and the freelancer wasn't in the same time zone as mine. I couldn't reach him atm.

I would like to ask, if it would be possible for me to cancel the contract? do I still have to pay for his work? 

14 REPLIES 14
JoanneP

Hi Anna,

I'm sorry to hear that If you prefer to cancel the contract, you may let the freelancer know about it and explain why you'd prefer to cancel the contract. If in case you would like to pay the freelancer a partial payment, you can release the partial amount to the freelancer, by following these steps:

1. Go to JOBS tab > My Jobs.
2. Under 'My Contracts' section, find the correct contract and click the Pay Now button.
3. Click Pay. [[ Note: Clicking the 'Pay' button will not release the funds immediately. ]]

4. A pop-up up window will appear. Click Edit (pencil) icon. 

5. Edit the amount and select an underpayment reason.
6. Click Send Payment.

~ Joanne
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Member

Anna K wrote:

I hired someone for academic writing on fixed price basis. I mentioned clearly in the messages that I was in tight-schedule and had wanted it done within 24 hours. I've also stated in the task description regarding the plagiarism issue.

"EXTRA!
• Put the ideas into your own words and avoid copying phrases/sentences directly. I would check the similarity report upon receive the work"

I requested a draft before the due date/time, but the freelancer replied with "Your work will be ok." He submitted his work on time tho. However, once i checked for the similarity report, it turns out to be 80%. How could this be possible? He clearly direct copied every words that he'd read/found. I only had few hours left to turn it in, and the freelancer wasn't in the same time zone as mine. I couldn't reach him atm.

I would like to ask, if it would be possible for me to cancel the contract? do I still have to pay for his work? 

If your essay was for course work, you are breaking the rules of both your academic establishment and Upwork. 

Hi Nichola,

Thank you for your concern. Fortunately, it wasn't, it was to understand the concept easily (work purpose given that i was coming from different backgroud) without having to go through journals/library.

Hence, there's no marks given/breaking academic rules for the delivered tasks.

Anna K wrote:
Hi Nichola,

Thank you for your concern. Fortunately, it wasn't, it was to understand the concept easily (work purpose given that i was coming from different backgroud) without having to go through journals/library.

Hence, there's no marks given/breaking academic rules for the delivered tasks.

That seems odd then that you would need to check for plagiarism or that you would be turning it in, as you said. So what then is the problem with the work quality, if it's just for you to quickly learn the topic?

Hi Amanda,

I am a trainee for data science company, and was have sharing session within next few hours at that time. I planned to make presentation out of it, and provide the asked summary so it’ll be easier. I specifically mentioned it should have referred to journal for deep understanding since we’re discussing future trend and current research on it. I’ve read myself on few blogs/site the basic/summary of the given topic.

When I received the summary from the freelancer, I was shocked to see it have few points that are similar with what I’ve read words by words. I sent it to my turnitit personal account out of curiosity and not for submission. If the summary was exactly the same as what was written on these blogs, might as well I just copied it and distribute it by myself isn’t it?

And yes, no marks were given, as it was just sharing session between trainees, and obviously our salary were based on the work delivered on project and not casual sharing session.

Hope this clarify everything. Thank you!

Anna K wrote:

Hi Amanda,

I am a trainee for data science company, and was have sharing session within next few hours at that time. I planned to make presentation out of it, and provide the asked summary so it’ll be easier. I specifically mentioned it should have referred to journal for deep understanding since we’re discussing future trend and current research on it. I’ve read myself on few blogs/site the basic/summary of the given topic.

When I received the summary from the freelancer, I was shocked to see it have few points that are similar with what I’ve read words by words. I sent it to my turnitit personal account out of curiosity and not for submission. If the summary was exactly the same as what was written on these blogs, might as well I just copied it and distribute it by myself isn’t it?

And yes, no marks were given, as it was just sharing session between trainees, and obviously our salary were based on the work delivered on project and not casual sharing session.

So I'm not sure how you vetted the freelancer you hired, but if you are going for quality and speed, then you have to pay more. You may be a trainee, but if you want someone to give you something that will teach you, then you will have to hire someone with greater qualifications than you.   The expectation that you can hire someone cheap to do a good job of doing your own work is unreasonable. When I hire people to provide support research like that which you are describing, if I am expecting to take what they give me and create something more out of it, I don't expect them to create the level of quality that I can create. If I need something at the level I can product, I find someone equally qualified and pay them the same or close to my rate.  

Adding to what Amanda has said, it would also be a good idea to organize your time so that you could do the work yourself, which is the purpose of the project you describe. 

Nichola L wrote:

Adding to what Amanda has said, it would also be a good idea to organize your time so that you could do the work yourself, which is the purpose of the project you describe. 

Yeah, I mean, being a trainee at a data science company, they are likely assigning things to her to assess her ability to do those assignments, so outsourcing the work still could be considered fraudulent by her employer and certainly by their clients if the clients are not aware that the company is outsourcing the work. 

It's also odd that the job was under "academic writing" and not another category, and why the OP has a personal turnitin account. Just odd is all. But following Janean's comment, I'm sure there is some plausible reason. 

Quote: "Hi Nichola,

Hence, there's no marks given/breaking academic rules for the delivered tasks."

How very odd that there should be a due date for learning about a concept -- a hard and fast due date that was so important and such a "bright line" that if it wasn't met, you thought that your freelancer should not be paid.

Hi Janean,

"Hope this clarify everything. Thank you!"

Oh, yes. Sure. You have provided a completely credible and not at all over-complicated or tortured explanation of how this is not academic fraud. I believe everything you wrote here, and it is all clarified. Thank you for taking the time to offer this entirely plausible account of your normal business actions that are definitely not cheating or academic fraud.

abbas_tauseef
Community Member

Two points here;
1. If it was an academic work for your college/school, you're in a red zone because Upwork doesn't allow sellers and buyers to get academic work done.
2. You may wish to cancel the contract and enquire the seller as well about the problem.

You can also report them for deceiving you.

Tauseef A wrote:
Two points here;
1. If it was an academic work for your college/school, you're in a red zone because Upwork doesn't allow sellers and buyers to get academic work done.
2. You may wish to cancel the contract and enquire the seller as well about the problem.

And we may wish for the involved client and freelancer to be removed from the platform.

Jennifer R wrote:

Tauseef A wrote:
Two points here;

And we may wish for the involved client and freelancer to be removed from the platform.

If only! I am reminded of that good old Scottish (I think) proverb: "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride".