Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Please Review My Profile!

inspire77
Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
1 of 23

Hello everyone,

I'm a new freelancer here and in the past few days I proposed for many jobs but couldn't get a single one or even an interview.

Could it be something wrong with my profile?

Please check it and tell me what you think.

Thank you.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
2 of 23

I'll leave the specifics of translation to the experienced translation experts who respond in the forums.

However, in terms of expecting a contract within a few days of being on Upwork, you find that realistic?

It takes a while and you have to keep in mind whether or not there is a demand in your field of translation. Also, is your field of translation a saturated market?

Opening contracts (and successfully closing them) takes more effort than merely setting up an account, your account being approved, and then submitting proposals.  There are more factors at play (is what, essentially, I'm saying to you).

inspire77
Ace Contributor
3 of 23

However, in terms of expecting a contract within a few days of being on Upwork, you find that realistic?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Kat.

No, I don't find it realistic. I know it takes time. It's just something I don't get. I proposed for a job for which "less than 5" proposed and 3 got hired but not me. Is it because of that "Preferred Qualifications" thing (Job Success Score/Include Rising Talent)? The client sees that I have no job success and I'm not a rising talent.

I can't have these things if no one hires me!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 23

There is nothing particularly "wrong" with your profile, it just doesn't stand out.

You REALLY need a portfolio.

Data Entry is an oversaturated "entry level" cheap field. You are unlikely to win contracts at a half decent rate for data entry, as there are literally 100s of thousands of freelancers who are happy to work for next to nothing offering "Data Entry" Services.  Just having it on your profile puts you in the "no marketable skills" category in a lot of clients' minds.

Leaves translation.

Here the problem is that the better clients will be looking for "French French" (generally hiring from France or Canada) and you'll be competing with the mass of other "Not French French" providers for the rest.

Personally I also find the "trilingual" claim a bit problematic. There are mistakes on your profile. Your English is obviously very very good (for a non-native speaker) but I'd never hire you to translate into English (or French, probably) simply because it's clearly evident on your profile that your English isn't at the level to translate into it (from it, sure, into it, probably not)

This is also where your lack of a portfolio really hurts. Two JPEGs do not make a portfolio, you know? So the only thing clients can use to gauge your language skills from is your profile. Then they see things like "My works " and "Please be free.." and "Compnay" and it's game over...

You say you have certification from Microsoft. Why is it not included in your profile?

You haven't taken any translation tests. Why?

Overall the whole profile speaks to a lack of effort on your part.

I also think your profile picture could be better. The background is weird, your eyes hidden behind sunglasses, it looks stiff and unapproachable. It doesn't make the client think "Let's have a chat with him about my project" - Try something "warmer", more approachable, less stiff, maybe?

inspire77
Ace Contributor
5 of 23

Thank you so much, Petra.

That is really helping to know things that should be fixed.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 23

→ English-Arabic translation and vice versa

→ English-French translation and vice versa

Nope. This is not true.

And English to French is probably not true either. I understand that you may want to maximize your chances by offering as many language pairs as possible, but you're gonna to get burned.

The only thing that your profile clearly states at this point to anyone who heve some experience in translation is that you are not a professional translator.

Except in some very rare occasions, a translator only translates in the language they speak with a native level. Never the other way around.

What you can do is:

English to Arabic and French to Arabic.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
inspire77
Ace Contributor
7 of 23

Thank you for having a look at my profile, Rene.

I really appreciate it and I'll take your remarks into considertaion.

martinceisel
Community Leader
Martin C Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
8 of 23

There's also the subjectivity of it all. You could have the spiffiest profile in the galaxy and the client might still choose someone else.

inspire77
Ace Contributor
9 of 23

Yes, Martin.

This is what happens. Clients tend to hire "top rated" and "rising talent" freelancers which means no chance to new ones.

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
10 of 23

@Lahcen S wrote:

Yes, Martin.

This is what happens. Clients tend to hire "top rated" and "rising talent" freelancers which means no chance to new ones.

What's with the huge font size? We can all read the default font just fine- there is no need to shout.