🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Question about disputes.
Page options
suhaib93
Community Member

Question about disputes.

Hi everyone, Iv'e been working on a small project for a client. Before we set our contract he asked for a one page translation for a review and I did and he liked my work so we set a contract. After I worked for three days on the project, I submitted my work for payments.Then I was shocked that the client has denied my request and asked for a refund assuming that my work was robtic translation ?!!? 
The questoin is, Who woud review and rate my work whether it's robotic or not, because it's the only was to solve the problem.  I mean I'm 100% sure about my work. But is there any translation experts in the Dispute Center that woud decide and rate my work ?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I mean I'm 100% sure about my work. But is there any translation experts in the Dispute Center that woud decide and rate my work ?"

That is not how disputes work.

In a dispute, nobody from Upwork is going to look at your work. Nobody will rate it. Nobody wil decide if you or the client are wrong or right.

What happens in a dispute is that Upwork mediators encourage you and the client to reach an agreement.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Hate to blame, but you ought not to have done 1 page without having a contract in place first.
You started on the wrong foot when you decided to work for free to prove yourself.
So you probably got the client thinking, this guy must be so cheap, I can easily rip work off him.

Abinadab A wrote:
Hate to blame, but you ought not to have done 1 page without having a contract in place first.
You started on the wrong foot when you decided to work for free to prove yourself.
So you probably got the client thinking, this guy must be so cheap, I can easily rip work off him.

He has a contract.

Elba A wrote:

Abinadab A wrote:

He has a contract.

"Before we set our contract he asked for a one page translation for a review and I did and he liked my work so we set a contract. "

This kind of thing happened to me when I started on Upwork. I naively did work for someone to prove my quality before setting a contract. 

I know I could've tried to dispute, but I also realized for me (not saying everyone should follow my lead) that instead of placing blame and going through all the trouble for a small project, I would take it as a learning experience as you should when your trying something new. 

After that I knew that if any client in the future wanted sample work, I would offer to give them a sample peice I had written for someone else that related to the new project, but never write them original content until there was a contract. 

I have had many jobs that started with a paid trial that we agreed on, but never do work if there is no money or contract involved, not many but some will take advantage of newbies trying to get reviews. 

Good luck!