🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Question about reasonable rates
Page options
resultsassoc
Community Member

Question about reasonable rates

A client has invented an extension for a common Microsoft product that allows it to create two-dimensional drawings, such as house plans, equipment schematics, etc. I've recommended to him that he begin creating "buzz" in English-language forums, discussion sites, etc, that cater to likely buyers such as Do-It-Yourself enthusiasts, inventors and others. He's pretty much a one-person show, and isn't going to have the time to do this himself. I'm not the best resource for this.

What is a reasonable rate for a North American fluent English speaker familiar with prospective buyers' vocabulary to visit these sites and participate, including talking about the product? I believe this is best done on a payment-per-post basis,

Thanks for the help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tsmithninsights
Community Member

I think I would separate the "buzz" into types. Your inventor will want to direct traffic to his own web site, so I would get a fixed quote for a 600-800 word blog. Business blogs command more than creative blogs since an understanding of the product and potential market is beneficial. Depending on the length, I tend to charge anywhere from 250 - 1000 for business articles. The cost will also be higher if the writer needs to do research for the article vs. having references provided by the client.

I would set a separate fee for writing on other sites. That fee would depend on who has to locate those sites, i.e. will the inventor find them for the writer or does the write need to locate and suggest some to the client?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tsmithninsights
Community Member

I think I would separate the "buzz" into types. Your inventor will want to direct traffic to his own web site, so I would get a fixed quote for a 600-800 word blog. Business blogs command more than creative blogs since an understanding of the product and potential market is beneficial. Depending on the length, I tend to charge anywhere from 250 - 1000 for business articles. The cost will also be higher if the writer needs to do research for the article vs. having references provided by the client.

I would set a separate fee for writing on other sites. That fee would depend on who has to locate those sites, i.e. will the inventor find them for the writer or does the write need to locate and suggest some to the client?

Thanks. I've got my answer.