Did you mean: 

Rates - a controversial subject

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 31

@Nadine D wrote:

Rene,

believe it or not - this file is to be translated into several languages, and there actually are several freelancers doing this translation. For that price. 

You have no means to know how much someone is paid for a job on Upwork, unless it's done and shows on the person's profile. But even in this case, you don't know the scope of the work that was assigned.

I find it hard to believe that anyone will translate that much text for $200. But let's say it is the case. Setting apart the fact that the quality will be extremely low (the person doing the job will certainly just copy/paste to and from Google Translator), this has nothing to do with me or you.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
blancanieve
Ace Contributor
Nadine D Member Since: Jan 23, 2016
12 of 31

This file was to be translated into about 6 languages. Some of those have been already finished, therefore it does show up on the freelancers profile. There was (according to the work history of the client) only one freelancer hired per language for that file. I checked that because I found it hard to believe too. I was asked to translate the whole file for that price. So I think it is safe to assume what I am assuming. BTW: The hired freelancers were all pretty new to Upwork, with a short work history, maybe that is the reason.

The fact that they probably used Google Translate and that the result can only be crappy, doesn't change that. And no, they have nothing to do with me and you :-)

bcondez
Bruno C Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
13 of 31

@Rene K wrote:

@Nadine D wrote:

A few days ago I was even asked to translate a 100000 words file for $200.

This is actually not an issue since nobody will do it for this price. At the end, this client may pay way more and yet not enough to receive any kind of quality.

Those are nice anecdotes to share but don't represent the real world market.

Rene, just to let you know, given that you're skeptical about those low rates for high work, today was posted a job asking for a translation of 13000 words. The budget? 170$, fees included. So, I would receive 136$ for 13000 words. That's 0,01$ per word. The worst part? Dozens of applications for this job, inside that budget.

I didn't apply, but it's impossible to fight this kind of projects and freelancers.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 31

There's no right or wrong. Clients are free to set their budgets. Freelancers are free to determine their own bottom lines. Not every job is a fit for every freelancer and vice versa, and rates are one of the many factors in determining that.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
15 of 31

@ Fanny,  we can not share the names of competing platforms in the forums for obvious reasons.

You might want to Google translation platforms, websites specializing in translation services; etc. 

fmkellerman
Ace Contributor
Fanny K Member Since: Dec 10, 2016
16 of 31

I used to work for a social community website for children. They had less restrictive communication rules than Upwork. I can't believe you're not even allowed to mention the names of other freelancing sites.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 31

@Fanny K wrote:

I used to work for a social community website for children. They had less restrictive communication rules than Upwork. I can't believe you're not even allowed to mention the names of other freelancing sites.

It strikes me as odd that so many people are surprised by this. I know of no private company that allows the promotion of its competitors within its community.

fmkellerman
Ace Contributor
18 of 31

There are plenty. That's like saying you can't mention Twitter on Facebook.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
19 of 31

Fanny, have you ever heard of Google?

You either play by and graciously accept the rules ... or stop grumping about a common sense policy.

fmkellerman
Ace Contributor
20 of 31

I do play by the rules. And yes, I've heard of Google, thanks. But sometimes it can be worth discussing/changing/reviewing the rules. I was simply pointing out something which I experience as a problem on an otherwise excellent platform. There is always room for improvement.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS