Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How Many Rewrites Are Too Many?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1 of 3

@Holly G wrote:

I rarely do hourly jobs, so, in the case of a set-amount job, wouldn't that mean that, if it's not discussed, no rewrites are agreed upon/required? (Speaking hypothetically) 

That's a nice way of looking at it. Don't you think from a client's point of view, in the case of a fixed rate job, wouldn't that mean that, if it's not discussed, rewrites  until the client has what they wanted are agreed upon/required? (Speaking hypothetically) 

Essentially, unless you specify scope in advance neither scenario is "agreed" upon. That is why you must clarify scope prior to taking on a contract.

It also pays to get as much detail as to what the client really wants, and how they want it done, before taking on any contract. Unless I understand exactly what they want and how they want it, I leave myself open to the client either being unhappy or me having to redo things again.

The client has a "request changes" button on their side of the contract interface....

Communication is key here. If you have failed to clarify the scope and number of revisions in advance, it now becomes a matter of delicate negotiation which allows you to find a solution that is both fair and reasonable to both parties.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 3

If the client truly changed their mind and suddenly want something DIFFERENT to what was initially specified, the best way forward is to pretend that you ASSUME they WANT to pay for it. You could respond with something along the lines of:

"Hi Jim, that sounds like a great idea and yes, of course I can also do X,Y,Z. The cost for this new concept would be $ XX.XX. Would you like to add a new milestone for that, or pay it as a bonus after approving the already completed milestone for the origninal work?"

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 3

Hi All,

This thread has been moved to Writers & Translators category.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS