🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Response to a client feedback
Page options
hernandez-luz
Community Member

Response to a client feedback

Hello, everybody!

Hey, I just found out that one can respond to a feedback provided by a customer on our profile but I don't know how to do that.

I had a client who didn't provide me enough information to do what she asked for. The contract started about a few days before Christmas, last year, being the deadline fixed for December 28th. But (here comes the big BUT) she left on vacations holiday and never told me she would do that; which it means that I was never able to communicate with her during those days. I emailed several times and only had automatic responses emails back. Bottom-line, I was completely lost without knowing if what I was writing was what she was expecting for me to write, you know what I mean? Well, finally she did reappear on January 3th. All my SIX ARTICLES was written (+1000 words each) and told me to CHANGE AND REDUCE ALL OF THEM!!! IN THE NEXT 2 DAYS!!!

Well, I did it (I was not happy, but I did exactly what she asked) and guess what? SHE GAVE ME 4 STARS!!! This is so unfair, I think. I asked her why and she told me that my job "wasn't perfect and a 4-star review is a very good rate". Wow. I still feel mad at it.

Anyway, if there is a way for me to say that out loud, I want to do that. Any help?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

It's really not advisable to argue or discuss feedback with a client. And besides, 4 is not considered bad. Some clients do not like to leave a perfect 5 - it's best just to move on and not worry about it. 

If your client closed the job and left feedback, you should be able to leave feedback for her. Just make sure to be professional and polite - remember that other potential clients may read what you have to say.

ETA: If you're referring to the job "Spanish-Speaking Writers WANTED", your client didn't write anything bad about you, just left the 4 stars, so I would recommend you do the same in kind. You have plenty of good feedback that her's should not matter all that much.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
mtngigi
Community Member

It's really not advisable to argue or discuss feedback with a client. And besides, 4 is not considered bad. Some clients do not like to leave a perfect 5 - it's best just to move on and not worry about it. 

If your client closed the job and left feedback, you should be able to leave feedback for her. Just make sure to be professional and polite - remember that other potential clients may read what you have to say.

ETA: If you're referring to the job "Spanish-Speaking Writers WANTED", your client didn't write anything bad about you, just left the 4 stars, so I would recommend you do the same in kind. You have plenty of good feedback that her's should not matter all that much.

Thank you, Virginia. I see your point. I'll take your advice (but I'm still mad at her, hahahah!)

I agree that in 9 cases out of 10 a response to feedback just draws attention to it and most of the ones I have seen do more harm than good.

The reason why you can't see the function to respond to the feedback is because you only have 4 weeks to do so, and that time ran out - probably just as well.

🙂

Hello, Virginia.

Advice taken, thank you very much! I guess my Ego was hurt, but now I am learning to not pay attention to my big annoying Ego and learning to be much more humble. It's a slow process, hahahah!

Thank you again.

Hello Virginia,

I am in a similar but worse situation with a client feedback as the original post here. My client asked me to write articles on topics that bordered on promoting online digital piracy, even though the JD and interview discussions had never mentioned anything in that line, obviously. I am/was not ready to contribute in such activities and requested him to send different set of topics, which would not include such questionable motives. He declined. Then I requested him to terminate the hourly contract. That he promptly did and left me a terrible feedback (2 stars along with a long message full of untruthful allegations). Ironically, my client feedback was (submitted before I could see his remarks) only a "Thank You" with 4 stars as I did not want to end things bitterly.

Now I feel doubly slighted and would love to give him a piece of my mind. I was browsing the community forum in search of what others in my situation had done so far and came across your solution to Luz's problem. Would it really be a mistake on my part to respond to that feedback and address each issue he's mentioned there? I will most definitely not write anything inappropriate, nor would I throw the dirt back on him, as much as I would have liked to. But I feel like I should blow the whistle about the real story, if it wouldn't impact my future endeavors. What do you suggest?

I have another week to respond to that feedback, I think. But I will hold off till I see your response. Please advise.

Thanks,

Moulisree Bose.

If you are top rated, ask for the feedback to be removed.  I hear you can do that once every few months.

Hi Cheryl,

I am new in Freelancing and in Upwork. I have just gotten my first JSS and am yet to attain the Top Rated label. Thanks for your practical suggestion and I will keep it in mind for future, though I pray to never be in a situation like this again.

Thanks,

Moulisree. 

My advice remains the same - keep it simple and professional ... and don't write it while you're angry. There's a saying: "the customer is always right" ... even when they're not. In freelancing it's best to grow a thick skin and move on from clients behaving badly.

Your JSS is already below 90%  -  remember that other clients will read what you write - and that's all I have to say on that.

Others may chime in with differing opinions.

re: "Now I feel doubly slighted and would love to give him a piece of my mind."

That's not very mercenary.

I don't make money by giving clients a piece of my mind when I feel that they have slighted me.

Hi Preston,

You are right! I guess I am not yet used to being my own boss and my own subordinate at the same time and sometimes my experience from my previous job shelters my view partially. While writing those lines, I was probably thinking along the line of going over to teh HR Bay and clarify the issue in person.. My bad. Smiley Embarassed

However, if I do write a response to this client's feedback, I will always stick to professional courtesy. Otherwise, I will only prove that I belong to the same league as his. And that, is never going to happen.

~ Moulisree.

Moulisree,

If you think there is a serious ethical breach  regarding the client's requirements, then you should report  your worries with  as much back-up as you have in your message rooms to CS. You may well get a generic answer, but they will (hopefully) check the client out.

Thank you, Virginia. I have been sitting on this feedback for over one week already, because I don't want to make it messier. I received my first JSS only after this client submitted his feedback. So, I can well understand why it is below 90%. But, I'll listen to your advice and my good sense over my emotions for now and will try to get more positive feedbacks from new clients to balance it out.

If and when I feel ready to respond impartially to those words, and if I can manage it within the timeline to respond, I will proceed to write the response. Meanwhile I need to learn to grow that thick skin quickly.

Thanks again.

Moulisree.

@Moulisree B wrote:

Thank you, Virginia. I have been sitting on this feedback for over one week already, because I don't want to make it messier. I received my first JSS only after this client submitted his feedback. So, I can well understand why it is below 90%. But, I'll listen to your advice and my good sense over my emotions for now and will try to get more positive feedbacks from new clients to balance it out.

If and when I feel ready to respond impartially to those words, and if I can manage it within the timeline to respond, I will proceed to write the response. Meanwhile I need to learn to grow that thick skin quickly.

Thanks again.

Moulisree.

If you decide to respond, only state the facts much like you would do in a professional business report (e.g. We started here, then this happened, next this happened, etc.). 

There are times when a client will attempt to change the scope or depth of a contract (it happens) -- even if they were clearly stating one thing at the start of the contract. 

The purpose is more in line with, "here is what happened" rather than "this client is a jerk" or "I'm disappointed and/or angry."

Hello Kat,

Thanks for your guidance. I shall definitely keep them in mind if I write back the response.

There may be a time limit on when you can respond. I would state that the contract was ended at my request and before any work was submitted due to misrepresentations regarding the assignment and its content. The something like, it is regrettable that the client responded so unfavorably to my prompt and reasonable request. 

I didn't realize that you had completed some work. That complicates matters as it does appear you understood the content. I would refund the money. The client's private feedback will still affect your JSS, but the public feedback and dispute will go away. IMO it could cost you far more than what you earned in potential hires if the feedback remains. 

Also, you do not have to wait for a client to end a contract. If you have been hired to do X hours of work and realize that the job is not as represented. Just close the contract and inform the client that you will not be continuing. (Of course, the client may not be happy and they may be feedback consequences.) If you did leave the contract open without producing work on time, then that is an error on your part. Make these decisions about how you will handle matters going forward so you can act decisively next time. 

Hello Sir,

Doesn't it matter for a new freelancer?

I am upset, my client gives me 4.45. But why? She didn't tell me anything to change it, approve my milestone. But did not give me feedback/review.

When I ask her, no response. Another freelancer gives me the advice to write later in this way, Then I write, In response, she closes the job and gives me feedback, when I show it, I can not be happy to see it.