🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Rewrite ending
Page options
ctabo
Community Member

Rewrite ending

Hello all! Just wanted an opinion and if anyone knows about any rights I have on my end about this:

I have a new client that I write scripts for. Half of the payment goes to the outline, which needs to be approved first, then I write the script to get the other half of the payment. So, I got the outline done, got paid for the first half. Then, when it came to the script, he kept asking for rewrites, not edits. I normally am very flexible with edits and minor changes so that the client gets what they want. But, in his wording... "The team has decided, We want to change it." They are asking me to change the entire plot of the script. I pushed back and said that the outline was already approved, and I wrote the script as per the outline, so now you're asking me to rewrite the entire thing because you guys decided to change the direction of the story? They pushed back, saying they expect me to be flexible, then sent me changes they made to the story and asked me to do edits and provide a new ending. I complied with the edits, but not the new ending or the rewrite.

Thankfully, and luckily, I got paid on both. The client released the payment. I pushed back saying that I am not going to do a new ending because that's not what we agreed upon. Am I in the right to do what I did? What should we do going forward? I read about potentially suggested an hourly rate, then the client can ask for as many rewrites as they want?

Thanks! Any opinions would be appreciated!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Questions and Answers:
Q. Is it okay for a client to make changes to a fixed-price task after a contract has started?

A. No.

Q. What should a freelancer do if a client asks for changes?

A. The freelancer should thank the client for his notes and say that she would be happy to make those changes, but they are out of scope of the contract. If the client wants the freelancer to make those changes, then he may release the current escrow payment and set up a new hourly contract, a new fixed-price contract or a new milestone for $XXX.00.

Q. What if the client demurs?
A. The freelancer may explain that she wants to help, but these are Upwork's rules. Provide a link to the Community Forum and suggest that she can ask questions about those rules there.

Q. Is it acceptable for a client to proactively release all remaining escrow funds to a freelancer and then ask for changes to be made under a new contract or milestone - WITHOUT discussing this with the freelancer first?

A. Yes.

Q. Who should determine the dollar amount that needs to be paid for a new milestone or changes?
A. The freelancer

Q. What if the freelancer completes the task but the client doesn't like it?

A. The task has been completed. The client needs to release the escrow payment as agreed. If the client does not like something (for example, the client decides to change the ending of a story from "humorous" to "pensive"), the client has the option to pay the freelancer to make the changes, or hire somebody else to do that work, or do that work himself, or not do it at all.

Q. This seems inflexible.

A. It is not supposed to be flexible. The client created a fixed-price contract instead of an hourly contract because the client did NOT want a "flexible" contract. There is no "flexibility" in a fixed-price contract. An hourly contract is - by definition - flexible.

Q. If a client hires a freelancer using an hourly contract, may he ask for as many rewrites as he wants?

A. Yes.

This is how such things are done correctly:

A CLIENT hired a FREELANCER to write a story about a cat visiting its grandmother. Fixed-price contract: $100.

The freelancer wrote the story.

CLIENT: This is great. I would like to change the story so that the cat visits its grandfather instead. I have released the full escrow payment. I have closed the contract. May I hire you to change the ending so that in the story the cat visits its grandfather instead of grandmother? I can hire you using a fixed-price contract or hourly contract, whichever you prefer.

FREELANCER: Thank you for releasing payment for the project. I would be willing to make additional changes using an hourly contract. Or I can make this one change - grandmother to grandfather - for a fixed-price contract of $50.

CLIENT: Thank you. I will set up a contract now.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Cherlaine:

You did the right thing.

You used Upwork as intended.

You should NOT work for free.

A client should NOT ask you to work for free.

If a client hires you using a fixed-price contract, then she MAY NOT make any changes to the task requirement. If she makes any "changes" then she is trying to change the original agreement, and that means she is asking you to work for free. That is a violation of Upwork ToS.

Questions and Answers:
Q. Is it okay for a client to make changes to a fixed-price task after a contract has started?

A. No.

Q. What should a freelancer do if a client asks for changes?

A. The freelancer should thank the client for his notes and say that she would be happy to make those changes, but they are out of scope of the contract. If the client wants the freelancer to make those changes, then he may release the current escrow payment and set up a new hourly contract, a new fixed-price contract or a new milestone for $XXX.00.

Q. What if the client demurs?
A. The freelancer may explain that she wants to help, but these are Upwork's rules. Provide a link to the Community Forum and suggest that she can ask questions about those rules there.

Q. Is it acceptable for a client to proactively release all remaining escrow funds to a freelancer and then ask for changes to be made under a new contract or milestone - WITHOUT discussing this with the freelancer first?

A. Yes.

Q. Who should determine the dollar amount that needs to be paid for a new milestone or changes?
A. The freelancer

Q. What if the freelancer completes the task but the client doesn't like it?

A. The task has been completed. The client needs to release the escrow payment as agreed. If the client does not like something (for example, the client decides to change the ending of a story from "humorous" to "pensive"), the client has the option to pay the freelancer to make the changes, or hire somebody else to do that work, or do that work himself, or not do it at all.

Q. This seems inflexible.

A. It is not supposed to be flexible. The client created a fixed-price contract instead of an hourly contract because the client did NOT want a "flexible" contract. There is no "flexibility" in a fixed-price contract. An hourly contract is - by definition - flexible.

Q. If a client hires a freelancer using an hourly contract, may he ask for as many rewrites as he wants?

A. Yes.

This is how such things are done correctly:

A CLIENT hired a FREELANCER to write a story about a cat visiting its grandmother. Fixed-price contract: $100.

The freelancer wrote the story.

CLIENT: This is great. I would like to change the story so that the cat visits its grandfather instead. I have released the full escrow payment. I have closed the contract. May I hire you to change the ending so that in the story the cat visits its grandfather instead of grandmother? I can hire you using a fixed-price contract or hourly contract, whichever you prefer.

FREELANCER: Thank you for releasing payment for the project. I would be willing to make additional changes using an hourly contract. Or I can make this one change - grandmother to grandfather - for a fixed-price contract of $50.

CLIENT: Thank you. I will set up a contract now.

Thank you sooooo much Preston! Your Q&A was most helpful and I appreciate your feedback. I speak with my client as per your feedback. Thank you again!!!

You are a very nice person.

When I do fixed-price contracts, I offer zero revisions.

Thank you for ur advice but I have something to ask 

Habu
nb88
Community Member

What Preston said!

I also do scripts and I break it down into a lot of smaller payments to avoid this situation. Something like outline, first 20 pages, next 20 ... edit, polish. 

Unfortunately, it's the type of project where there can be a lot of mind-changing!

91c6cb63
Community Member

I am seher I am  freelancer just a one day but I am har working women and thank you so much

d8fffe55
Community Member

yes 

Aslam o alikum I don't have any job.I joined this from four months.Could you help me for finy a job?