🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » SCAM: ** Proofreader/Copyright
Page options
vernonklein
Community Member

SCAM: ** Proofreader/Copyright

Heads up:

Someone is passing themselves off as a representative for this pharmaceutical company out of Latvia (really!)

The insist on Google Hangout Chat or Skype for the "interview" to assess your skill level, etc.

Then they will gry to "arrange to provide you with funds" to acquire specific computer hardware and [enterprise class] software by EMAILING YOU A CASHIER'S CHECK.

This is obviously a bogus profile.

The person may pass themselves off under the name of **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

I contacted the pharmaceutical company directly: they have never heard of this person, nor do they have any such jobs to be filled.

Take this as a cautionary alert, folks.

3 REPLIES 3
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vernon,

Could you please send me a private message with more information on this so that I can check and send it to our team for investigation?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

I've been flagging these guys for WEEKS and also reported to Upwork. See this thread. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Suspicious-Job-quot-we-need-a-proofreader-to-edit-a-busi...

I've flagged almost 30 of their post sjust in the past day and a half.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I contacted the pharmaceutical company directly: they have never heard of this person, nor do they have any such jobs to be filled."

I know your intentions were pure.

But please don't do that again.

And for others reading this:

Please do not contact companies directly like this.

It does not benefit the company to contact them about scammers using their name. It doesn't benefit you. It does not benefit Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths