cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

Highlighted
Paulina S Member Since: May 14, 2020
1 of 6

I got an offer to interview for a translation job for Barnes and Nobles. The individual I interviewed with claimed to be Barnes and Nobles HR. I interviewed through Telegram and the individual asked me a serious of regular interview questions and other questions that seemed off, like my credit score and what bank I used. The next day, he told me I got the job and sent me a really legitimate-looking letter. He then asked me to pay him $15,000 that he said the company would reimburse me for. I called Barnes and Nobles and they told me that it  was, indeed, a scam. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

Paulina:

thank you for your note about this.

It is interesting and informative to hear firsthand descriptions of scams.

In the future, you will of course not feel a need to call the company whose names the scammers are feeding to you.

For all others reading this:

When a scammer feeds you a company's name, please do not call the company. It just wastes their time and is annoying.

Obviously a real client does not ask YOU to pay THEM money.

Highlighted
Paulina S Member Since: May 14, 2020
3 of 6
Wow, I wasn’t expecting such a rude response. The scam was really well done and I needed to confirm. I also think it behooves a company to know that a scam is using their employment materials. Additionally, the company thanked me and asked me to send them everything the scammer sent me.
But thank you for your enlightening response.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 6

Paulina S wrote:
Wow, I wasn’t expecting such a rude response. 

What?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

Paulina:

The response you received was not rude. It was informative.

The scammers potentially use the names and information of ANY company they find on the Internet.

So this has nothing to do with one particular company.

There is really nothing a company can do to prevent scammers from using their names and info like this. The important thing to understand is that the scammers are not targeting the company. They are targeting the marks: the inexperienced freelancers who potentially can be manipulated into sending them money.

You are correct that the scam is well done. The scammers are smooth. I am glad that you were smart enough that ultimately you did not fall for this.

In the future, you and others who read this thread will quickly recognize that this sort of thing is a scam.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
6 of 6

Paulina S wrote:
Wow, I wasn’t expecting such a rude response. The scam was really well done and I needed to confirm. I also think it behooves a company to know that a scam is using their employment materials. Additionally, the company thanked me and asked me to send them everything the scammer sent me.
But thank you for your enlightening response.

I don't see anything rude in Preston's response, and his post is informative because this won't be the last time that you'll be targetted by this scam. It's worth remembering that you can only be hired via Upwork and paid via Upwork; any official-looking letters of employment or contracts that the client sends you are worthless, and you could have had your account banned for agreeing to accept a cheque, even if it had been the real Barnes & Noble.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS