Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
21 of 25

Hi Helen,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report? I’ll check it and escalate accordingly. 

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
f232f9c3
Mas W Member Since: Mar 10, 2021
22 of 25

I fell victim to the scam.  Online translation job.  Was contacted by **Edited for community guidelines** to use WhatsApp to continue.  Everything looked legit.  Interview was all done by text.  Welcome letter came the next day.  Signed and sent copies of my drivers license.  Then they sent my a checkfor $3400 to purchase equipment.  Deposited into my account and my bank told me go ahead and spend it, even though it was still pending (value was credited to my balance).  I was asked to send $1000 to a middle person by **Edited for community guidelines** in order to purchase equipment.  I was hesitant in sending any money, but I was desparate and my  bank said ok to spend the deposited money.  So I took the chance and sent by **Edited for community guidelines**.  Was told to send another $1000.  I stopped there and started searching online for possible scam.  Found out it could be a scam and called **Edited for community guidelines**  HR rep said the person I was communicating with does not exist. Expensive lesson learned.  Please be careful out there.

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
23 of 25

Hi Mas,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report? I’ll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
24 of 25

Mas W wrote:

I fell victim to the scam.  Online translation job.  Was contacted by **Edited for community guidelines** to use WhatsApp to continue.  Everything looked legit.  Interview was all done by text.  Welcome letter came the next day.  Signed and sent copies of my drivers license.  Then they sent my a checkfor $3400 to purchase equipment.  Deposited into my account and my bank told me go ahead and spend it, even though it was still pending (value was credited to my balance).  I was asked to send $1000 to a middle person by **Edited for community guidelines** in order to purchase equipment.  I was hesitant in sending any money, but I was desparate and my  bank said ok to spend the deposited money.  So I took the chance and sent by **Edited for community guidelines**.  Was told to send another $1000.  I stopped there and started searching online for possible scam.  Found out it could be a scam and called **Edited for community guidelines**  HR rep said the person I was communicating with does not exist. Expensive lesson learned.  Please be careful out there.

If there should ever be a second chance for you, follow the ToS.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
25 of 25

Mas W wrote:

Let this be a lesson to other newbies that they need to read the TOS and learn how Upwork works before taking a job. If you had followed the rules and TOS you wouldn't be out this money. It is an expensive lesson, and so it doesn't happen again you should read about how to use what you signed up for with Upwork. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS