cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Help Needed!

Youssef S Member Since: Jan 16, 2017
11 of 32

Well, that would be an endless loop. If I underpromise, I will not get hired over someone who looks more dedicated than me, and according to you I am "overpromising." And again, I can do everything you can read in my overview; it would be dumb to lie on my profile; clients would see that I "can't keep my promises, " and that would ruin any rating, thus ruining my chances on UpWork.

Again, you are no help, just judging me and that is it.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
12 of 32

Youssef, you would do well to take Jennifer's advice seriously. She has one of the best-developed BS detectors on this site, so if she says you are making promises you cannot keep, you are. 

I also checked your skills, and it looks like you missed one. You failed to mention that you have a complete understanding of Arabic astronomical terms. You may want to consider adding that one- it will really complete you. 

Youssef S Member Since: Jan 16, 2017
13 of 32

Thank you very much, Reinier, for reminding me of that.

Also, I would honestly take her advice, except that her advice is based on judgment, my promises are based on facts. I have been a translator for six years, and I know what I can do. I CAN keep all my promises; I will even do much better if the job is worth it.

And again thank you very much.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 32

@Youssef S wrote:

Thank you very much, Reinier, for reminding me of that.

Also, I would honestly take her advice, except that her advice is based on judgment, my promises are based on facts. I have been a translator for six years, and I know what I can do. I CAN keep all my promises; I will even do much better if the job is worth it.

And again thank you very much.

You're telling me you proof 3 times and can work 20 hour days no problem? I don't believe that. Are you also saying the quality of work is there? I'll be honest, I tell people straight that I have 2k words in me and then the quality suffers, so I stick to it.

I think it's better to underpromse, and then if you can indeed do 20 hour days then the client will be thrilled. I often give people long deadlines and then deliver early. This way, if something happens I'm not begging them for an extension. Instead, I just make the deadlines even though I'm sick, tired, whatever and don't work.

You're not being honest. Maybe it's desperation, but you don't need to be desperate. Desperatioin makes us do dumb mistakes. Don't promise things you can't do. You'll find being honest with people will go a lot farther.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
15 of 32

Youssef, I'm not a proofreader and even though my English *is* native, I don't claim to have perfect grammar or spelling. In my experience, few native English speakers have perfect grammar. Anyway, here are a few mistakes I found in your profile:

In the Overview, omit the second 'do'

What do I do not translate?

Later on, there's a sentence that's not quite right in my opinion:

Law and legal terms are absolutely no problems in both languages.

It should probably either be 'no problem' or 'not problems'. Also, "Law and legal terms" is redundant, just legal terms is sufficient, although that's a question of style. And since I mentioned style, you use 'very' too often, especially in this sentence:

Arabic grammar is very tricky and really hard, it is very rare to find someone who can use it very well as the original classic language is almost never spoken, only the dialects are spoken, and I like to consider myself as one of those rare-to-find people.

I'm definitely picky, and most clients could care less about any of this, I'm sure, so that's why in general I thought your profile was well written. Besides, your spelling test score is better than mine. Robot Embarassed

16 of 32

Again, John, Thank you very much.

I did not notice those mistakes before, so thanks for pointing them out. And yes, most clients won't care about that, but perfection is always a plus.

Thank you again Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 32

If I'm uninterrupted, I can usually write 5,000 words in about six hours. My record for a day was 16,000, but that took nearly 12 hours and was a horrible experience.

Community Leader
Claudia B Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
18 of 32

I wouldn't wanna score 1st place in a test. The yellow labels don't look nice. I like the blue ones better. Maybe clients do so, too.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
19 of 32

@Claudia B wrote:

I wouldn't wanna score 1st place in a test. The yellow labels don't look nice. I like the blue ones better. Maybe clients do so, too.

Great observation! I only have 1 yellow test score, everything else is blue. Maybe that's the secret. Cat Wink

20 of 32

John, get rid of that yellow label quickly! Blue is much more of an eye catcher and sells a positive feeling to the viewer. Just look at all the blue in ads. Blue dominates over every other color.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS