🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Should I inform my client there are mistakes ...
Page options
dang_diane
Community Member

Should I inform my client there are mistakes in another person's copy?

Hello! 

I'm a tad new to Upwork so I'm uncertain of the etiquette, but I have a minor issue where I'd like some advice.

My client hired me as a copywriter, which was fine, but the advertisements he offered as examples have minor errors in them that are going to be posted on his client's website in the future. 

The obvious tells are capitalizations and repeated words that are off, but should I say something? Or would it be a future editor's job? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

You could ask him if he wants you to inform him about that kind of thing.

But a very pertinent question is this:

What are YOU getting paid to do?

If you're working on a fixed-price contract, then you are getting paid to produce certain deliverables. How much time to do you want to spend editing somebody else's work if you're not getting paid to do that?

If this is an hourly contract, then you can ask if he wants your help with that, and you can bill for the time reviewing other people's work and informing the client about what you find.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

You could ask him if he wants you to inform him about that kind of thing.

But a very pertinent question is this:

What are YOU getting paid to do?

If you're working on a fixed-price contract, then you are getting paid to produce certain deliverables. How much time to do you want to spend editing somebody else's work if you're not getting paid to do that?

If this is an hourly contract, then you can ask if he wants your help with that, and you can bill for the time reviewing other people's work and informing the client about what you find.

spaintranslator
Community Member

Hello,

I always inform my clients of any kind of mistake I find in the texts they send (and I explain why is wrong). They really appreciate it. I correct all of them at no charge If I have the time. Smiley Happy

Y-E-S.  

@Wendy C wrote:

Y-E-S.  

I'll second that, and add, "of course".

@Diana C wrote:

Hello,

I always inform my clients of any kind of mistake I find in the texts they send (and I explain why is wrong). They really appreciate it. I correct all of them at no charge If I have the time. Smiley Happy

Why at no charge? If it'd not written by you, why should you fix it for free?

I recently told a client that some of the articles on their website is just awfull, and obviously not written by a native Norwegian. I also told them that I could fix it for them, for my standard hourly rate. The client had no idea that it wasn't any good, as she doesn't speak Norwegian, so she was really happy I told her.

I think I know which freelancer wrote this, as I could see it in the history on Upwork. This person is actually Greek or something, but claims to be fluent in Norwegian. His portfolio pieces are aweful, but if you don't speak Norwegian you wouldn't know. He also works for a fraction of the rate I do, so I'm not gonna fix his errors for free. If they want articles in proper Norwegian they have to pay for it. 

Robert, here's the document that I wrote for you, please have a look and tell me what you think. Oh, by the way, I spotted some minor errors in the material that you sent. Sorry, as a writer I can't help but notice typos and grammar glitches 🙂 I honestly think you should have them fixed!

The client will most certainly say thanks! And maybe, only maybe he may ask you if you can handle it. See what I mean?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Informing a client of previous errors is part of your job. It is a very simple concept > your name and reputation (credited or not) is on the end product.

A minor change(s) = no charge

Major changes = offer to correct for $X.  Use Rene's wording if need be.