Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Shouldn't there be a minimum rate per 100 words for posting a job?

Highlighted
Active Member
Smriti S Member Since: May 4, 2016
1 of 25

On numerous occasions I have come across jobs that pay less than $1 for more than 400-500 words, the lowest being around $1.5 USD for 1000 words! (which actually prompted me to raise this issue). I was wondering if a minium fixed rate can be a solution to such disgusting events!

Highlighted
Community Leader
Daniel B Member Since: May 4, 2016
2 of 25

The problem with that is that there's no real way of calculating it. The cost of living in different countries is so variable that it would be heavily skewed for some. Plus, not all 100 words are created equally. A 500 word blog isn't the same thing as a 1000 word medical transcription. A 35 character tagline for a Fortune 500 company is worth a hell of a lot more than a local radio spot for some small business.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
3 of 25

@Daniel B wrote:

The problem with that is that there's no real way of calculating it. The cost of living in different countries is so variable that it would be heavily skewed for some. Plus, not all 100 words are created equally. A 500 word blog isn't the same thing as a 1000 word medical transcription. A 35 character tagline for a Fortune 500 company is worth a hell of a lot more than a local radio spot for some small business.


 

I agree. I have a long-term client I translate/localise Google and LinkedIn ads for - I charge a minimum of $0.45/word. A recent job was to translate 144 words - 5 ads; they are supposed to convert. In addition, adhering to strict character and pixel counts makes these jobs rather demanding. Hence, more expensive.

 

I also offer legal and technical (mostly IT security, finance & engineering) translations: at a lower price. Because that stuff is more standardised. 

 

But I also think that minimum rates should never be tied to the cost of living. Quality work has a price tag. No matter where it comes from.

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
4 of 25

I would say a minimum rate per word, as official agencies use. There are universal standards for that. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 25

@Smriti S wrote:

 I was wondering if a minium fixed rate can be a solution to such disgusting events!


 

There is a minimum rate. I have my minimum rate. It is definitely a solution. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
6 of 25

@Rene K wrote:

@Smriti S wrote:

 I was wondering if a minium fixed rate can be a solution to such disgusting events!


 

There is a minimum rate. I have my minimum rate. It is definitely a solution. 


 Exactly.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
7 of 25

I have posted fixed price jobs for translation of 600 words into a European language with a $50 stated budget, and received bids from $5 to $60. So it is not just clients who are posting low budgets, but freelancers underselling themselves also.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Active Member
Smriti S Member Since: May 4, 2016
8 of 25

 


@Jennifer D wrote:

I have posted fixed price jobs for translation of 600 words into a European language with a $50 stated budget, and received bids from $5 to $60. So it is not just clients who are posting low budgets, but freelancers underselling themselves also.


 That is so true!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 25

It's true. There is always some schmoe bidding $3/hour. I sometimes wonder how often they win. I always figure the ones who come here complaining that they can't find gigs are the lowballers. You don't really see too many high rollers complaining that they can't find work. Sometimes, but it's mostly people with no skills lowballing everything.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 25

Each freelancer is operating a business. It is up to that business to set its own rates.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS