cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shouldn't there be a minimum rate per 100 words for posting a job?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 25

As others have posted, I have minimum rates.

Here, I'll share.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
12 of 25

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

As others have posted, I have minimum rates.

Here, I'll share.

Thank YOU!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Neil P Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
13 of 25

Guaranteed though, if I started applying for writing jobs at 0.20c per word I would not win a single job on Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
14 of 25

@Neil P wrote:

Guaranteed though, if I started applying for writing jobs at 0.20c per word I would not win a single job on Upwork.

That is not necessarily true.  There are stellar clients out there, just as there are those who are not so lovely.  If you feel a contract is worth that much in terms of time and effort, bid accordingly.  If the client prefers to pay less (and risk quality), that is their prerogative and only affects the time you've taken to submit the proposal.  If they choose to pay your rate, then congratulations, you've found a great client.  Either way, you never know until you try.  

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Neil P Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
15 of 25

Kathryn thanks for your reply and your advice.

I guess I would disagree with you, in that it also wastes my monthly connects, even though I generally only apply for one job daily when work is slow.  

At the moment I do have a couple of regular clients who seem to be throwing me enough scraps to keep me busy, although the pay is on the low end of the scale.

I'm considering taking your advice for a month, bidding the amount that I feel my writing is truely worth, and seeing what that results are.
The only thing putting me off is the handful of times I've tried to raise my rate a little, clients have instantly baulked and claimed they can't afford it, even though it was still very low.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
16 of 25

The only thing putting me off is the handful of times I've tried to raise my rate a little, clients have instantly baulked and claimed they can't afford it, even though it was still very low.

Clients who pay low are clients who pay low. Only rarely can you persuade them to pay more. If they can't afford it, they're the wrong clients to target.

The trouble with raising your rate a little is that you're still in the same price bracket. You might need to raise it more substantially.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
17 of 25

I still take some contracts that most would never even look twice at (1c per word, 2c per word, etc.), but only if I know it is something I can fly through off the top of my head overall.  Also, I can look at my own situation and say "Everything is covered, I do NOT need to consider this right now." and stick with that.  My own rate is still considered to be outlandishly low to some freelancers, though it took courage for me to raise it to that. 

I have, however, quoted upwards of 10c per word in the past when I was still working brick-and-mortar, and yes, they agreed to that rate.  If I can find such clients outside of UpWork, then surely they are inside of this box somewhere as well.

Again, we never know until we try.  For now, while I am still building here, I continue to work with my own clients locally and that has kept me hopeful.

Edited for: double text o.o  The ghosts in the machine are after my text!

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 25

10 cents per word is pretty good for a generalist writer with no real expertise in anything. Those fad diets and pseudo science and online gambling and whatever sites need people like that.

Like you said, you take contracts the high end writers wouldn't so you have your place. I admit I venture into Burger King every once in a while and I do like a whopper with cheese like twice a year so it's good sometimes when you're hungover and don't want to put forth an effort. I feel ya.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 25

@Neil P wrote:

Kathryn thanks for your reply and your advice.

I guess I would disagree with you, in that it also wastes my monthly connects, even though I generally only apply for one job daily when work is slow.  

At the moment I do have a couple of regular clients who seem to be throwing me enough scraps to keep me busy, although the pay is on the low end of the scale.

I'm considering taking your advice for a month, bidding the amount that I feel my writing is truely worth, and seeing what that results are.

Don't raise your rate a little, double it...or a bit more.

Stop taking on jobs that pay so little that good clients will rule you out based on your past jobs. 

Make your profile more professional. Your prospective clients don't care about your interests--they want to know what you can do for them. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 25

@Neil P wrote:

Why not? Others do.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS