cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shouldn't there be a minimum rate per 100 words for posting a job?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Neil P Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
21 of 25

All the jobs I see advertised are at 1c a word or worse.  The highest one I've been able to find (and successfully win) pays at 0.014c per word.  

I've made some changes to my profile as you suggested.  Thanks a lot!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
22 of 25

Whether the budget equals 1c or not is irrelevant.  Whether you bid what you feel you are worth is what is relevant. Smiley Wink

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
23 of 25

@Neil P wrote:

All the jobs I see advertised are at 1c a word or worse.  The highest one I've been able to find (and successfully win) pays at 0.014c per word.  

I've made some changes to my profile as you suggested.  Thanks a lot!

Everyone's experience is different, but I never bid on jobs that are posted by the word. I bid almost exclusively on fixed price jobs. When I bid on a job that is posted as hourly, I use my hourly rate in the form but include a flat-rate proposal within the text of the bid.

Many clients who are looking for a whole website's worth of content or an e-book or those sorts of things really don't have any idea what a fair price is, and so make their best guess or include a placeholder number. I often bid double or more the posted budget, and often am awarded those jobs, and I know other writers here with similar experiences.

I do have a lot more experience than you do, but my posted rate is nearly 7 times yours, and fixed rate projects usually work out to a bit more than my posted rate.  I strongly suspect that you'd have better luck if you raised your rate to 2.5-3x what you currently have listed.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Neil P Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
24 of 25

I really can't thank you all enough for your help and your feedback.  I take all of your suggestions onboard.

I don't think I am a bad writer, indeed all of my clients have been happy with my work although I'm always looking to improve my skills.

Tiffany as of today I have started bidding on what I think a posted job is worth and ignoring the clients budget for the most part.  I am focusing my applications towards the value that I am offering the client and what my writing is worth.  

I have raised my hourly rate as per your suggestion and I'll give this a try for a while and see what pans out.  Will report back with results in a month or two.

Thanks again everyone.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
25 of 25

I hope it works out well for you, Neil. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS