🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Spanish language tests
Page options
laurapas
Community Member

Spanish language tests

So I joined UpWork a couple of months ago, and today I realised they have added some Spanish language tests (maybe they were already there, but at least they were not available to me). I have taken a few today and all of them are full of mistakes. The most outrageous one is the Spanish Grammar test, which wouldn't pass any language quality control. I tried to report the problematic questions, but then I ran out of time to answer them!, so of course I got lower marks.

6 REPLIES 6
quijibo
Community Member

Agreed. Even though my Spanish is perfect and currently ranked as first place for the Spanish Vocabulary Skills Test and the Spanish Spelling Skills Test, I've taken that lousy grammar test two times now and both times have got a 3.75 below average result.

That test is complete garbage.

javier_darosa
Community Member

I though I was the only one seeing this.

I'm a native Spanish speaker. I GET HIGHER GRADES IN THE ENGLISH TESTS.

I just took again the "Spanish Word Usage Test" and scored even lower than the last time. I reported one question but, as you say, you run the risk of getting a lower grade by running out of time.

Upwork has been great for me and I've just upgraded to a paid plan but I can't even understand why these Spanish tests are SO BAD. Who makes them? Are they even proofread?

The one question I reported was along the lines of "Which word refers to things that depend on the season. Option a) Estacionario Option b) Estático"

NONE! Maybe "Estival" or "Estacional" would be OK but not the available options...

I hope this thread gains some attention from the Upwork staff.

I had similar problems with the spanish tests. In fact, some of them my results where so bad I had to hide them from my profile 😄 

Yeah, and it's not only the answer options given, but also the questions are very poorly written and contain all kinds of errors.

I sent them a couple of messages through the website, but there is a message saying they don't always reply, so that's why I wrote in here.

Moreover, the spelling test is a joke. One of the questions consisted on choosing the correct word between "bibienda", "vibienda", "vivienda" and "bivienda"...

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback, everyone. Will share this to the team for their review. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Dear Avery,

I sent a support ticket last year, over a year ago: Request #19148539

Today I took again, for the third time, the same Spanish Word Usage test and yet again it has the same exact issues: some questions do not have actual valid answers, the questions are poorly written and there's no way I'll spend the less than a minute I have to answer in reporting an issue with the question to get an even lower score.

In my EN to ES and ES to EN translation tests I'm in the Top 10%, yet in these Spanish Usage tests I hardly get average scores. In fact, this third time I scored even lower.

I know that being a native Spanish speaker does not grant you academic knowledge of a language, but working as a translator for over three years, and having spent nearly a decade working in bilingual (EN/ES) corporate environments, I'm positive my Spanish skills are not getting worse.

It's a joke that I can't display any of my Spanish Usage test results in my profile. I'm a EN to ES translator after all.

It's been over a year and there's still no progress whatsoever. Can you get some feedback on this from the team or people that is in charge of these tests?

Thank you in advance,

Javier