cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Check (Removed Job)

Joshua H Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
1 of 7

So I applied for this "comprehensive editor/proofreader" job (which upwork just removed for violating their terms) and have been communicating with one of the managers via google hangout. Apparently, the company is a real estate investment company called **edited for Community Guidelines**

The website seemed legitimate and they offered me work, but then they sent me an echeck for $900. The check looks valid, but I smell something fishy. There was nothing in their info handout or contract about being sent a large check to use for company purposes. Does anyone know what's going on in this situation? I'm new to this so my knowledge base is somewhat low. 

Montanna W Member Since: Aug 31, 2018
2 of 7

Hi Joshua,

I am a Licensed Bank Auditor and can help with this. First, it if feels fishy, it most likely is. 

Did you complete any work for them or simply apply?

Do you know why the sent you an echeck? How did they send you the echeck? Did you provide them with personal banking information to receive it?

Have you deposited the echeck to your account?

-Montanna

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
3 of 7

@Joshua H wrote:

So I applied for this "comprehensive editor/proofreader" job (which upwork just removed for violating their terms) and have been communicating with one of the managers via google hangout. Apparently, the company is a real estate investment company called "dealpath." The website seemed legitimate and they offered me work, but then they sent me an echeck for $900. The check looks valid, but I smell something fishy. There was nothing in their info handout or contract about being sent a large check to use for company purposes. Does anyone know what's going on in this situation? I'm new to this so my knowledge base is somewhat low. 

Oh my God, in 2019?, please run, run fast and far as you can, DO NOT DEPOSIT that check, it will bounce back, and you'll lose your bank account. No matter how "legit" it looks that's not the real company, is some dude who knows where trying to scam you.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY will send a REAL/VALID/GOOD check for someone they just met over the internet.

On the other hand, you're not supposed to receive payments outside of Upwork.

If you share any kind of personal info, they will steal your identity as well.

Please, please, please read this and this.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
4 of 7

This is the most notorious scam going. It targets inexperienced FLs who have not informed themselves about how to operate securely and safely here. You might want to do some homework before submitting  proposals or accepting invitations to bid. There are helpful articles pinned to the top of the New to Upwork board, and additional information in the Help & Support pages. You can also search the forum for "Google Hangouts", "scams", and such.

(The main reason scammers proliferate here is that so many new members do not take the time to learn how the platform works and where the more common pitfalls lie, and are susceptible to the come-ons.)

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 7

Hi Joshua, 

I would like to note that offerring and accepting to be paid off the platform is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. If you come across any client who asks to send you a check, please stop communicating with the client, and flag the job post, or report it directly to the Customer Support Team so that actions can be taken against the client's account. 

I would recommend that you read up on the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we have compiled here, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs to help you work safely on Upwork. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

@Joshua H wrote:

So I applied for this "comprehensive editor/proofreader" job (which upwork just removed for violating their terms) and have been communicating with one of the managers via google hangout. Apparently, the company is a real estate investment company called **edited for Community Guidelines**

The website seemed legitimate and they offered me work, but then they sent me an echeck for $900.

The check is, of course, fake. 

One of the oldest, dumbest scams on the net.

The website is real, the people you communicated with have nothing to do with the company. There is no job. All they want you to do is deposit the fake check and then for you to send them real money before the fake check, of course, bounces.

No real company sends real checks to some stranger on the Internet and you must never, ever, accept any payment outside the platform

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

re: "they sent me an echeck for $900."

Joshua:

You are violating Upwork ToS.

You could have your account suspended or permanently terminated for receiving this check.

I don't think that will happen (this time), because you are so new...

But it is important for you to understand that you violated one of Upwork's most important rules. Upwork ToS makes it clear that all payments are to go through Upwork. No money is to be exchanged between upwork clients and freelancers through outside methods.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS