Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: This is truly sad...

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
11 of 57

Hi Bettye, 

I had to edit the post as it violated this specific Community Guideline:

• Including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing.

In this case, anyone can try to locate the job post by copy-pasting phrases from the post, and searching it in the marketplace. I hope this clarifies things, Bettye. Let me know if you have further questions!

-Avery
Untitled
Community Leader
Bettye U Member Since: Mar 6, 2016
12 of 57

Thank you Jennifer, but I did not accuse anyone of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing. My issue was with the people applying to transcribe and edit an hour's worth of dictation for $1.50 an hour, not with the client (actually, more power to them for getting work done for practically nothing)!

I appreciate your attempt to clarify this for me, but frankly, I've long since given up on trying to understand some of the platform's violations. It seems to be okay to post jobs for suspicious or illegal activity, like plagiarizing, but it's a violation to cut and paste a job posting on the community boards. Why is no one looking at the contents of some of these postings? I mean, someone could post a job looking to hire a hitman, and it would stay up longer than a cut and paste job on these boards! (I'm not trying to be difficult, but I just find this ironically funny.) The rule should probably be no cutting and pasting, period. 

Thanks again.

Community Leader
Bettye U Member Since: Mar 6, 2016
13 of 57

Oops, I meant, thank you, Avery.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
14 of 57

Bettye U wrote:

Thank you Jennifer, but I did not accuse anyone of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing. My issue was with the people applying to transcribe and edit an hour's worth of dictation for $1.50 an hour, not with the client (actually, more power to them for getting work done for practically nothing)!

Bettye, I was going to mention accusation of misconduct as one possible reason for editing your post, but decided it was a bit of a stretch. However, I looked up the word misconduct and one definition is improper behavior, and we both think paying $5 for transcribing then editing a 40 minute audio file is improper behavior, so I can appreciate Avery's viewpoint.

15 of 57

Hello everyone,

such low rates come as no surprise, to me. But not only in translation; how many times have you read something like "New to Upwork?" This is a great chance for you!", and it turns out you're asked to write a 3,000-word article for $5 and "a great 5-star feedback!". Just wow.

Needless to say, these job posts must be avoided. I understand when someone points out that newbies are desperately trying to land their first job, so that they won't have their account suspended for too many unsuccessful applications, but there's more than that: working for those rates has a huge, negative influence on the translator and his/her career, and it also negatively affects the whole translation field, it diminishes fellow translators' work!

I haven't had any luck on Upwork so far, despite putting a lot of effort into it by polishing up my profile, my proposals...
Who knows if I will actually have my account suspended because of that! But that doesn't matter, as I have no intention to negatively impact my career, just to avoid getting suspended on Upwork -- maybe people forget that Upwork is very, very far from being the only place where freelance translators can get jobs. 

I wish so bad that, as time passes, less and less translators accepted shameful rates like those. We'll see (and hope)!

Have a great day you all.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
16 of 57

What really breaks my heart is when the client offers a reasonable price and you can see (with the Freelancer Plus plan) that some freelancers have offered to work for a pittance instead.

Ace Contributor
Kashif A Member Since: Dec 2, 2015
17 of 57

It is a buyers' market out there Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
18 of 57

It shouldn't be. It's up to us freelancers not to play this game, as it hurts our intererest.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 57

A simple fix if Upwork would chose to do so ... is to set the minimum at $25. That's still not great, but it sure doesn't look as shameful as $5 - why Upwork wants to align itself with that other $5 site is beyond my ken.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 57

A $5.00 minimum is fine.

There are jobs I'll do for $5.00.

If Upwork allows this freedom to freelancers, it doesn't mean you need to do jobs for that amount. You can establish any mininum you want for yourself.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS