Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: This is truly sad...

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
51 of 57

Geraldine F wrote:

I agree and I am even more angry at those who accept to work at that rate. I often spoil my Connects to tell those slave seekers how ashamed they should be. Have you noticed ? The less they pay, the more they are exacting.....

Well, there's been a discussion about doing just that. I have started myself. The only difference is that I'm not going to do it nastily, just try to make the "clients" understand how dangerous it is for them to offer rock bottom prices - they usually only get what they've paid for.

Last time I've told the culprit that what she/he was offering was still a bit too much for a Google translation.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
52 of 57

re: "I often spoil my Connects to tell those slave seekers how ashamed they should be."

This is inappropriate behavior.

A freelancer who does this should be removed from the platform.

Community Guru
53 of 57

Preston, I think Geraldine is right, but she should try not to be aggressive, that's all. 

If more people were taking the time to tell clients that we are real people, and that we get offended by some of their humiliating offers, maybe they would learn a little bit about how to treat real people. 

Highlighted
Geraldine F Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
54 of 57

Luce,
When a client "offers" a rate as low as a couple of dollars per hour, they know very well they are seeking slaves and that they are taking advantage of some of them's distress. And it is because there are freelancers desperate enough to accept such deals that more and more clients refuse to pay more. There is no point to try to be nicely make them understand, because they just don't care.

As for Preston's suggestion about people like me, It does not surpise me from someone who who would not mind to work at USD 1,5O / hour. Lol.

Ace Contributor
Brandon H Member Since: Feb 17, 2019
55 of 57

I'm not going to lie, I've written several drafts of such messages, but decided each time that it was unprofessional. 

What would be nice, however, is if there were some kind of wiki or Wikia set up independently where those types of clients can be called out.  UpWork's algorithms for weeding out "bad clients" as I understand it from reading the help pages only works if the client has a history of bad feedback.  Some of these bottom feeders just promise 5 stars for 5 stars and the hungry newbies play along. 

I'm dealing with one such client now.  He has hundreds of five-star reviews, yet I'm about to get paid a paltry amount for a ridiculous amount of work, which he's now being nitpicky about.  In this situation, I'm about to just cancel the contract myself, but again, I want to take the high road here and be the professional one.  If I just canceled the contract and took back the work, then it would be fine if he already had a history of bad feedback, but because so many people out there just gave him five stars quid pro quo, it's going to look bad on my JSS and stats. 

So, as "blacklist" as such a wiki or Wikia might sound, it is a way for us to try and protect ourselves from such goons.  It's also really not all that different from the BBB or Chamber of Commerce ideas, either.  If the governing body's (in this case UW's) system for weeding out bad clients is flawed, then the only way to get around that is to be vigilant.  This would be another tool to help with that vigilance.  I know nothing about how to set up such things, but if anyone else knows, I'd be glad to discuss the idea of setting it up with you further!

Community Guru
56 of 57

Brandon, I wouldn't bother to avoid being "unprofessional" to tell my mind to very unprofessional people.

How professional is a person that says he'll give a translation job to the person who will offer the lowest rate? Would a real professional even think such a stupid thing? How professional are companies who don't mind using gibberish when they sell their products on the web? Or who publish articles that don't mean anything because they were translated by some idiot that thinks that basic knowledge of a foreing language makes him a translator?

Ace Contributor
Jeff M Member Since: Jan 19, 2012
57 of 57

Prestonbot,

There's nothing wrong with working for positive change.  The biggest reason people lose power is to not think they ever had it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS