🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Thoughts about job offers informations
Page options
r_satta
Community Member

Thoughts about job offers informations

Hello, fellow translators, have you ever looked at a job offer and thought: "How can they let a job offer like this to be uploaded?" 

The translation searches are full of jobs like this one (sensitive data has been omitted, so the image won't be deleted):

I mean, I'm not talking about the 10$ price for an expert level in a medical translation. I'm talking about the lack of information that a normal translator should need. How many words do we have to translate? 1? 10? 100? 1000? How many pages? Thank god the client at least specified they were medical translations, usually we are not that lucky.

In my language pair, out of 20 job offers, 5 are like the one above at the moment. Usually it's 10 out of 20. Often the client uses the 1-3 months formula (or higher) and the required connects skyrockets to 6. Still, even if there are no actual info about the job, somebody writes "Feel free to ask me any question" (no, we won't feel free, since we're gonna pay to ask you a simple question). 
How do you feel about such jobs? Obviously, nobody in their right mind is going to send a proposal to such offers, but unsuprisingly some of them receive 20+/50+ proposals. 
Basically, the structure of such offers is: "I need translators to translate". No sh@@ Sherlock, guess what? That's our job.
Why are such jobs allowed on Upwork in the first place?

6 REPLIES 6
yitwail
Community Member

X to Y medical translation? Maybe it has to do with gender reassignment?

John K wrote:
X to Y medical translation? Maybe it has to do with gender reassignment?

Lol. And this is just for 10$, a real deal!

Btw, just in case, since sarcasm is hard to detect when it's written, it's about language X to language Y

yitwail
Community Member

When I see a job like that, I want to tell the applicants, don’t spend it all at once, save some to buy more connects.

@ Roberto

I try not to get irritated. I just had an invitation from a client who has marked $$$ but is prepared to pay $1,000 for 70,000 words. It's a nice job, and I would like to do it, but I am not a charity and I need to pay the bills. End of. 

jr-translation
Community Member

Roberto S wrote:

Hello, fellow translators, have you ever looked at a job offer and thought: "How can they let a job offer like this to be uploaded?" 

The translation searches are full of jobs like this one (sensitive data has been omitted, so the image won't be deleted):

I mean, I'm not talking about the 10$ price for an expert level in a medical translation. I'm talking about the lack of information that a normal translator should need. How many words do we have to translate? 1? 10? 100? 1000? How many pages? Thank god the client at least specified they were medical translations, usually we are not that lucky.

In my language pair, out of 20 job offers, 5 are like the one above at the moment. Usually it's 10 out of 20. Often the client uses the 1-3 months formula (or higher) and the required connects skyrockets to 6. Still, even if there are no actual info about the job, somebody writes "Feel free to ask me any question" (no, we won't feel free, since we're gonna pay to ask you a simple question). 
How do you feel about such jobs? Obviously, nobody in their right mind is going to send a proposal to such offers, but unsuprisingly some of them receive 20+/50+ proposals. 
Basically, the structure of such offers is: "I need translators to translate". No sh@@ Sherlock, guess what? That's our job.
Why are such jobs allowed on Upwork in the first place?

You can flag these job:

Screenshot 2019-06-22 22.31.18.png

But my experience is that you just have to wait a few days and the client will contact you. Just invest some more time on your profile.

I tried to create a specialized profile so I could upload some portfolio items, but my real specialization is not in the list. It's video game and app translation/localization. There's a "language localization" category and "mobile app development", but they really are not the same thing. 
I could create one under "language localization", but I don't know if I will be able to delete it if magically a "apps localization/games localization" does appear in a near future.

But my experience is that you just have to wait a few days and the client will contact you. Just invest some more time on your profile.

I already flag everything, but I really think it's useless. I'll keep doing it of course since it's our only weapon at the moment