🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Tips for Getting Started as a Freelancer!
Page options
burtner_madison
Community Member

Tips for Getting Started as a Freelancer!

Hello! I'm a new freelancer on Upwork, offering writing, design, and photography. I know that it takes patience and a load of hard work to initially get going. However, I was wondering if there were any seasoned freelance professionals out there who wold be willing to take a second to look my profile over and give me any constructive advice and tips on how to improve it. Any help would be very appreciated. If you are one who takes time out of their busy schedule to do this, I want to express my extreme gratitude in advance. Thank you much!

-Madison **Edited for community guidelines**

11 REPLIES 11
creativedigit
Community Member

Hello Madison,

I'm sure many would be happy to help. I'm not a writer, but I think your profile will look better when you add line spacing between paragraphs.

reinierb
Community Member

@Madison B wrote:

Hello! I'm a new freelancer on Upwork, offering writing, design, and photography. I know that it takes patience and a load of hard work to initially get going. However, I was wondering if there were any seasoned freelance professionals out there who wold be willing to take a second to look my profile over and give me any constructive advice and tips on how to improve it. Any help would be very appreciated. If you are one who takes time out of their busy schedule to do this, I want to express my extreme gratitude in advance. Thank you much!

-Madison M. Burtner

@ @Madison, I'm sure others will weigh in as well, but here's what I suggest- 

Reduce your profile overview by at least two-thirds. Clients are generally put off by solid walls of text. Break your overview up into clear paragraphs with short sentences, and/or use bullet points to emphasize important points, skills, or other information you want to draw attention to. 

Choose one specialty or niche, and develop your overview around that, since clients are generally put off by freelancers who claim to have skills in disparate areas. You may well be highly proficient in everything you say you do, but clients prefer freelancers who specialize. You can maybe add other skills later, once you have gained some traction.  

Make your profile less about yourself, and concentrate on making it all about how you can solve a potential client's problem(s). Clients are not in the least interested in your life story- they are here to find someone who can fix their issues, and you have to make them believe that you are the only person who can do that. Carry that idea over into the first two lines of your proposals as well, since clients initially see only the first two lines of a proposal.

Hope that helps a bit, and good luck!

Thank you so much! Great advice. I'll definitely see what I can do.

ruth_bowles
Community Member

So I think my biggest issue with your profile is that it tells potential clients what they will get from you in terms of services, but not the benefits of working with you. You're assuming that they know what they need to solve their problem. Your profile should show that you understand their problems and how you can solve them. Consider: 

Why do people need copyeditors?

Why would someone want a ghostwriter?

I don't like ghostwriting, and would actually charge more for this. Your rates are really low. I'm not saying your services don't have a place in your summary, I just wouldn't put them at the top. If you look at my profile, I have my services at the bottom. 

frenchbilingual
Community Member

I am a newbie here but I can advise you one thing : hide the tests if you are not in the top 10%.

I read your profile and was thinking "looks great" and suddenly I hit the tests area and it just startled me.

Check my profile, I passed 14 tests but my profile shows only the ones I performed really well. (by the way speed matters)

I am no pro freelancer but I am pretty sure my profile looks better with a few tests where I performed really well than with a bunch of tests I performed in the top 20, top 30 or worse

imho

Makes sense. Thank you!

Laurent, 

I think it depends on which test you take. For the more specialized tests that not everyone will take, a Top 30% could be really good.

I have a range of test scores on my profile, and not once has a prospective client said, "Oh, you're only in the top 30% for this.... can you lower your rate?"

Well, I disagree 🙂

I read your profile, I think it's great, and I think that MAYBE you didn't get some interviews because you let average tests appear on your profile.

I mean you have great experience great comments on your previous jobs, why keep an "above average" sentence structure test on your profile ? To me it's a killer.

Most people won't even go that far "down" a profile but still.

I would even get rid of the Blog writing test. You have great testimonies so I don't think you need it. And even hiding it you still have the skill "checked" as tested on your profile.

only my opinion !

PS : repass the test in a month and get a better score, as simple as that!

Got it. Thank you! That was very encouraging.

pawanz
Community Member

Hello Madison, 

First of all, I would like to welcome you on this great platform of opportunities, learnings and creative ideas. It's really good to know more about the Upwork policies, strategies and tips because millennialoften make some common mistakes when starting as a freelancer that may lead them to face certain unforeseen setbacks, even I had some 🙂

You are doing a good job thus far and I can see that you have successfully completed 3 jobs in June itself. If you will move with the same speed and passion, soon you will be awarded with the Rising Talent credit. Some of the things that I saw missing are the graphics in the portfolio. You may add the Graphics to your profile (a screenshot of your writeup, an image of the media outlet where it gets published etc.) and tests. The tests add value to your profile. So, its good to take the test as much as you can. 

Apart from this, I would recommend you to take up freelance assignments in areas that you are good at and it is always good to know your worth. Quote your client a price which justifies your level of expertise and skills. However, it is recommended to do some market research and learn what your contemporaries are charging for a fair competition. That's just a suggestion 🙂

All the best!

Could you explain the part about the graphics a little more? Thanks!