cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many long term jobs...

zlatanaleksic
Zlatan A Member Since: Apr 15, 2017
1 of 5

Do you think that it's possible to have too much work? And how do you cancel a long term job with minimal damage to your JSS?

quijibo
Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

If you can't handle the work send some over. For me there is no such thing as "too much work"

View solution in original post

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
3 of 5

@Zlatan A wrote:

Do you think that it's possible to have too much work? And how do you cancel a long term job with minimal damage to your JSS?

"Too much work" is an individual consideration.

All you can do to possibly mitigate the potentially negative private and public feedback is approach your client in a professional manner and discuss ending your contract with them. Even then they might rate you positively via public feedback, and then mark you lower through private feedback.

There are many factors that contribute to your JSS calculation. So, what do you consider "damaging"? Moving down a few percentage points (or for some FLs even just one)? 

Is it a matter of pay? Is there some aspect of the contract you can renegotiate instead of ending it?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 5

If a job is open but inactive for an extended period of time, Upwork will suspend it. I use this information to nudge clients into closing inactive contracts or I just close them myself. 

If you are receiving regular work through the contract, then you have to decide whether to continue or not. I've eased out of some lower paying contracts after giving the client the opportunity to meet my higher rates. The feedback from such a move is not always positive. But, if you already have a new client in place and are busy, short-term JSS fluctuations are really a problem. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 5

You have too much work whenever the quality of your work or the quality of your life is suffering due to your workload.

The best way to end a contract with minimal negative impact is to provide plenty of notice and an effort to accommodate the client's transitional needs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS