🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Top Tips for Newbie Freelance Writers
Page options
missceliaj
Community Member

Top Tips for Newbie Freelance Writers

Hello, I'm working on a personal project at the moment, a sort of guide for newbie freelance writers, covering things like whether or not freelancing is for them, which platforms to use, how to get into it, etc.

I was wondering, do you have any 'top tips' for freelance writers? I'd love to include a top tips section with quotes from seasoned writers. If you have any top tips you'd be willing to offer, I'd be more than happy to list your name in the e-book acknowledgments. 

Please comment with your top tip and also your name if you'd like to be acknowledged. Tips are specifically for freelance writers.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
reinierb
Community Member

Here is one- 

If you really want to stand out from the crowd, stick to what you know. 

Thanks! Your quotes will be included and the name Reinier B acknowledged 😄 

Top tip Reinier. I have trained many people who wanted to write blogs but didn't know where to start. That was exactly what I said, "Write about what you know". if you are knowledgable and passionate about specific topics, you will enjoy the work and if you also have writing skill, people will enjoy reading it.

robric
Community Member

You have to make freelancing your first priority, have a daily diary, and knock it off first. My profile is set to private because I have enough work going forward and don't want to waste other people's time. I have been on Upwork for ten years. This formula still works for me. It is easy to follow if you have passion for writing. That's my second tip.

iacob_irina
Community Member

Here's a tip .. or more..

Don't do this job if you're bad at time management or can't work unsupervised.

Accepting lower paid jobs is ok especially if there's nothing else better on the horizon, for freelancing doesn't have the security of a monthly pay-check.

There's nothing wrong with freelance work, nor with traditional jobs - just make sure you're cut for the type of work you choose, and don't be afraid to switch back if it doesn't work out.

could you please credit me as Charly C. if you must credit me? i dont want my real name in there, sorry.

jannasc
Community Member

Have you publish somewhere?! I'd love to read it!

I'm english advanced learner and my main goal is to be a great writer. I feel that I need to understand and be able to writer perfectly to consider myself completely fluent and able to write a essay and a movie script that sell my ideas clearly.

Hi, thanks for your reply to my post about top tips for newbie freelancers.
I haven't actually published the book yet because I've been so busy with
freelancing work! I hope that one day I can finish it off! There's a book
hopefully coming out called 'The Pyjama Myth' by Sian Meades and that is a
similar topic. Thanks

Pyjama myth? That is no myth. I am still in mine - having worked a 12-hour (freelance) day - but hoping to get dressed tomorrow to walk the dog. 

Nichola L wrote:

Pyjama myth? That is no myth. I am still in mine - having worked a 12-hour (freelance) day - but hoping to get dressed tomorrow to walk the dog. 

Exactly what I was going to say. I see that mentioned a lot as one of the unrealistic ideas people have about freelancing, but honestly....I work in my pajamas a lot (sometimes walk the dog in them, too). I work at a little table in my yard or a picnic table by the lake a lot. I have long lunches with friends during the week. My daughter and I have coffee and watch Gray's Anatomy at her house on Friday mornings. Some days I get up and start work at 5:30 a.m. Others, I sleep until 10 or 11. I take three or four long walks most days. Many of the things I keep seeing mentioned as myths are among the best parts of freelancing.

I think these things are beginning to be seen as myths because the definition of freelancing has been so expanded over the past several years, and now includes vast numbers of people who are more like misclassified employees who happen to work remotely. True freelancing offers all the "mythological" benefits you've heard about.

tlbp
Community Member

Yup, my #1 reason for delaying video calls is because I need to change out of my PJs first. (And really, I just change from my sleeping PJs into my working PJs. 😂)

So - discussion topic: Is this  less the pajama Twilight Zone  or more relooking The Pajama Game

(I have a problem with the first "a" - but I nod to its superiority over the "y")

tlsanders
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

Yup, my #1 reason for delaying video calls is because I need to change out of my PJs first. (And really, I just change from my sleeping PJs into my working PJs. 😂)

You change out of your PJs to do video calls?

I have obviously been working alone in my house for too long.

takestock
Community Member

Here's a tip from my personal experience of being a freelance writer. While some freelancers can get lucky with clients offering long-term jobs, there are others who may have smaller projects and are constantly looking for clients. Don't refuse a client even if it's a one-off job unless you don't have the time because you never know when you're gonna be one among the lucky few. Keep building your portfolio until then...

rajudeuri
Community Member

Online freelancers must be time-specific and quick in responding to his or her client's messages. If anyone can't respond to messages on time it is better for that freelancer to stop dreaming a success in the online freelancing world. My tip is 'hard work pays but quick response keeps one going ahead in online freelancing world'.        

Raju D wrote:

Online freelancers must be time-specific and quick in responding to his or her client's messages. If anyone can't respond to messages on time it is better for that freelancer to stop dreaming a success in the online freelancing world. My tip is 'hard work pays but quick response keeps one going ahead in online freelancing world'.        

lol