cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally not a porfolio question

Polly T Member Since: Dec 22, 2016
1 of 6

I lied. It's a portfolio question!

Long story short: I don't have a portfolio.

Short story long: I do, but not entirely related to what I want to do (copy editing/writing).

Long story even longer: I have actually done writing and editorial work. A lot of it falls under the promotional/informational materials category, some of it relates to Resume/CL editing and writing, and quite a big chunk of it is academic writing (my own articles) and editing (other people's articles). The problem is that I am not allowed to use any of it that's relevant and I just don't think it's professional enough to show off my personal projects.

Question: How do I show a potential client that I am up to their editing task without any samples to share? 
(Yeah, I know, it's that question again.)

I found quite a few freelancers (NOT on Upwork) who encourge newbies to offer free samples of (insert a random number) words to clients. I know better than that because 1) hellooo, Upwork guidelines, anyone? and 2) as crazy as it sounds, I value my own time and effort.

So there's that. I don't know how to proceed and I need some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

2 of 6

Haha, oh, man, somebody please slap my hand for missing the misspelled word in the title...

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 6

@Polly T wrote:

Haha, oh, man, somebody please slap my hand for missing the misspelled word in the title...

I think you can correct the title; but what you should have put was Poorfolio. Smiley Wink

To begin with, you just need something in your portfolio. As you do Bulgarian translation. Find something to translate into English and Vice-versa, and maybe add an article or two that you have written.  (I'm sure some of your articles are "professional") Make sure though, that if you advertise yourself as an editor/proofreader, that everything you show in your portfolio is error-free. (Not always easy with your own work.)

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 6

A quick sidebar about your profile...

There's a grammatical error in the 3rd paragraph.

I ONLY mention this because of your claim regarding "bulletproof arguments" and "impeccable grammar."

Said grammatical mistake shoots a hole right through that claim. 

Best wishes!

5 of 6

Kat, thanks for the friendly advice. I must have missed that part somehow! Smiley Happy

Nichola, thanks for the feedback. I am a bit reluctant to put anything that's not directly related to what I'm interested in doing. I'd like to drop everything else from my profile at some point in order to focus on a single thing (editing), and I'm just afraid that, if I share my graphic design or even my writing works, I'd be considered for these jobs instead of the editing ones. Perhaps my fears are unjustified, dunno. What do you think?

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 6

While you're working on applying for jobs and getting started on Upwork, why don't you write a few articles for yourself about topics that interest you and use them for your portfolio?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS