🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Translating a Gameboy Color ROM
Page options
dmayorga
Community Member

Translating a Gameboy Color ROM

Hello,

I am curious if it is not allowed to create a job posting for translation of a Gameboy Color ROM?

1. I understand that there are legalities surrounding distribution of ROMs, so there's that.
  2. I understand it is more than just translation work, it also requires knowledge of coding in order to dis-assemble the file and extract the text, translate it, then re-insert it into the file.

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The owner of the copyright is the person/organisation who created and published it until 70 years after dying. You cannot legally order a translation without the permission by the CR owner.

In other words it is not only illegal on UpWork, but almost all over the world.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
versailles
Community Member

@Dolan M wrote:

1. I understand it is more than just translation work, it also requires knowledge of coding in order to dis-assemble the file and extract the text, translate it, then re-insert it into the file.

You are looking for two freelancers. One who can fetch the text from the ROM (and put the translated text back), and a translator.

You understand that you cannot hire a translator do disassemble a ROM, right?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Well, yes. So I suppose I am looking for one very talented person (unlikely) or a team of at least two people.

But the main question is if all this is legal over UpWork? I don't know if I can be the rightful owner of a ROM after paying for it. Some language in the User Agreement sounds like I would 100% own anything produced over an UpWork contract, but this can't apply completely here, I don't think.

I am looking for guidance on this before I even attempt to put up a job posting.

The owner of the copyright is the person/organisation who created and published it until 70 years after dying. You cannot legally order a translation without the permission by the CR owner.

In other words it is not only illegal on UpWork, but almost all over the world.

I'm glad I asked. I had no intention of selling this or anything of that nature, but I figured that the nature of paying someone to re-work someone else's work had some legality to.

Thanks for the responses.

@Dolan M wrote:

I'm glad I asked. I had no intention of selling this or anything of that nature, but I figured that the nature of paying someone to re-work someone else's work had some legality to. 

Thanks for the responses.

Wait, there is more to the story than the answer you received. If you want to make changes to a program that you own, without distributing it, right to do so depend on the country.

For instance, this is allowed under some conditions in France. But it may be totally prohibited elsewhere.

So no, the answer you received is not exhaustive.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

You can translate everything for your personal use but as soon as you share it with somebody it is copyright infringement. The problem is that you loose control over the translation and it is online in no time.

When you buy a program, you pay for the right to use it, the owner is still the company who developed it. In usually says somewhere in the licence agreement that changes to the program are not allowed.

All,

Thank you for the additional information.

This is now technically off-topic, but I figured I already have some people's interest. Can anyone spit-ball ideas on how one would go about getting Star Ocean: Blue Sphere (for the GBC, not mobile version) translated to English?

The game was originally made by Enix, now Square Enix, but they don't seem to have a universal contact for general inquiries?

Thank you,

-Dolan

Go to this page and follow the instructions. Smiley Happy

Ask them directly if it is possible to have it translated and if so under which conditions. Maybe they don't mind if you pay for it and they sell it afterwards.