🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Translating a survey questionnaire
Page options
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Translating a survey questionnaire

I design and execute survey research. I am bidding on a project (to be fielded Feb/March 2019) that may require translation of a survey questionnaire into Spanish and Kreyol (Haitian Creole), along with translation of responses to one or two open-text questions back into English. This particular survey is "internal", i.e. surveying members of an institutional community about professional development issues. The vocabulary and phrasing used in the questions will be carefully considered and precise. Therefore, will need a level of nuance and precision in the translation that I would not necessarily require for a marketing-related survey.

This would be my first time hiring translation services. I wouldn't imagine that translating surveys is an everyday skill set (but maybe I'm wrong). What other/additional kinds of experience or specialization would indicate a good fit?

Also, would basing the fee on a per-word rate be most appropriate?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
colettelewis
Community Member

@Phyllis G wrote:

I design and execute survey research. I am bidding on a project (to be fielded Feb/March 2019) that may require translation of a survey questionnaire into Spanish and Kreyol (Haitian Creole), along with translation of responses to one or two open-text questions back into English. This particular survey is "internal", i.e. surveying members of an institutional community about professional development issues. The vocabulary and phrasing used in the questions will be carefully considered and precise. Therefore, will need a level of nuance and precision in the translation that I would not necessarily require for a marketing-related survey.

This would be my first time hiring translation services. I wouldn't imagine that translating surveys is an everyday skill set (but maybe I'm wrong). What other/additional kinds of experience or specialization would indicate a good fit?

Thanks!

Although your survey would be specific, your translator would not necessarily have to have special knowledge of surveys (although this would help), but go for high-end translators and be prepared to pay at least $0.09 per word - or for this type of work a translator might prefer to work on an hourly basis or give a fixed-rate quote based on an hourly rate. I sometimes do the latter, depending on the complexity of the translation. 

@Nichola L wrote:

@Phyllis G wrote:

Thanks!

Although your survey would be specific, your translator would not necessarily have to have special knowledge of surveys (although this would help), but go for high-end translators and be prepared to pay at least $0.09 per word - or for this type of work a translator might prefer to work on an hourly basis or give a fixed-rate quote based on an hourly rate. I sometimes do the latter, depending on the complexity of the translation. 

What Nichola said. Plus - you need to budget for a proofreader on top of the translator...

Unless you speak the language you ABSOLUTELY need someone to tell you whether you are paying for a translation or word-salad.

@Petra R wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

@Phyllis G wrote:

Thanks!

What Nichola said. Plus - you need to budget for a proofreader on top of the translator...

Unless you speak the language you ABSOLUTELY need someone to tell you whether you are paying for a translation or word-salad.

Perhaps, but that presupposes a good proofreader. I would rather trust a translator with an excellent record, than add to my budget by hiring a proofreader who might be more enthusiastic than good and who could well undermine a perfectly good translation. 

@Nichola L wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

@Phyllis G wrote:

Thanks!

Perhaps, but that presupposes a good proofreader. I would rather trust a translator with an excellent record, than add to my budget by hiring a proofreader who might be more enthusiastic than good and who could well undermine a perfectly good translation. 

I have seen both lately. A top rate translator that in reality deliveres useless translations and a proofreader that felt like correcting every sentence and added wrong terms. 

@Jennifer R wrote:
[...]

I have seen both lately. A top rate translator that in reality deliveres useless translations and a proofreader that felt like correcting every sentence and added wrong terms. 

That happens too!!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Good grief. There's a reason I've shied away from multi-national survey work! Too complicated for a monoglot like me!

Would a proofreader who can check the translation be, in effect, a second translator? Or would they be checking for basic sense only, and not the quality of the translation to be sure the nuance, vocabulary level, etc. was consistent with the original?

@Phyllis G wrote:

Good grief. There's a reason I've shied away from multi-national survey work! Too complicated for a monoglot like me!

Would a proofreader who can check the translation be, in effect, a second translator? Or would they be checking for basic sense only, and not the quality of the translation to be sure the nuance, vocabulary level, etc. was consistent with the original?

There are times when a proofreader is essential for translators particularly for longer work. I have had my work proofread. But it is essential to have a proofreader who knows the difference between editing and proofreading.