cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Translation feedback

Juan Pablo S Member Since: Apr 2, 2018
1 of 24

Hello guys,

I hope you are OK. I was wondering if any fellow translator can give me their feedback on Upwork. After several months and several attempts, and after taking the famous course by Danny Margulies, I am starting to think that Upwork is not a good place to find high-paying translation jobs.

I have seen people here charging good money on other areas, but then when it comes down to translation, apparently clients like paying 15 USD/1200 words or something like that, which is BS, pardon my French. So, I would like to know your experience doing translations at Upwork and if you have any good hack on how to pitch these guys, a hack that apparently Danny's course has been unable to provide.

Cheers

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
2 of 24

Aim for the clients that are willing to pay for your qualification. There are more than enough good jobs. Ignore the jobs that pay far to little. Clients that are looking for a good translation are willing to pay. Those who aim for underpaid work eventually get what they pay for.

It might take a few weeks or months until you have regular work comming in but I started full-time about 6 months ago and I have more than enough work already. 

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 24

The "famous course" by Danny Margulies seems to have been extremely well promoted by Danny Margulies. It also seems to have made a great deal of money... for Danny Margulies. I have never been sure why newbies think it is so great; mostly they have come here to the forum to complain about the course.

Your mileage may vary.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
4 of 24

@Janean L wrote:

The "famous course" by Danny Margulies seems to have been extremely well promoted by Danny Margulies. It also seems to have made a great deal of money... for Danny Margulies. I have never been sure why newbies think it is so great; mostly they have come here to the forum to complain about the course.

Your mileage may vary.

I have yet to come across anybody saying anything positive about this so-called "course". From what I've seen and read about it over a long period, it seems that only its creator believes it has any value. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 24

There are indeed well paying translation contracts to be had on Upwork, and you don't need any grossly overrated (insert appropriate term) or any "courses" to teach you how to be successful.

I assume you mean the one who, not so long ago, posted a pscreenshot of a contract offer touted as "highest hourly rate on Upwork" as a marketing gimmick, pretending it was something achieved by one of his "pupils" - forgetting to mention it was from him to his employee...

Anyway, back to translation:

Yes, there are lots of lowballers, but also enough great clients paying fair rates. It may take you a while to get easier access to the latter, but they do exist! If you have the skills, the ability to reflect those skills on your profile, and the salesmanship to negotiate good deals, you can get there.

If you have none of the above, no amount of course-taking will make any difference at all.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
6 of 24

I read about Danny's course when I first joined Upwork. As I recall, it was a link from Upwork that led me there. If the course hadn't been so expensive I might have tried it myself.

At that time he was offering a money back guarantee. Maybe you should ask for your money back, Pablo.

By the way, Pablo, your profile overview strikes me as excessively sales-pitchy. I personally would find it a massive turn-off. But then I'm not your target audience. And the bit about being so busy you can rarely take on new clients; is that really true, or just a sales gimmick?

Community Guru
7 of 24

@Richard W wrote:

By the way, Pablo, your profile overview strikes me as excessively sales-pitchy. I personally would find it a massive turn-off. But then I'm not your target audience. And the bit about being so busy you can rarely take on new clients; is that really true, or just a sales gimmick?

I agree with that. I also find the two feedbacks "interesting" .........

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 24

@Petra R wrote:

I also find the two feedbacks "interesting" ......... 

Saw that and I... dudo

I'm wondering if it's included in Danny's package, along with the long and boring overview.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
9 of 24

@Rene K wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

I also find the two feedbacks "interesting" ......... 

Saw that and I... dudo

I'm wondering if it's included in Danny's package, along with the long and boring overview.

new freelancer - 2 private / invite only jobs with artificially gushing sounding feedback - I took one look and thought exactly the same as you...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 24

This is the second time I see a Danny's follower with suspicious jobs and feedback on their profile. I'm almost 100% sure fake reviews are provided as a service.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS