Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translation help

Ace Contributor
Jan Q Member Since: Nov 9, 2015
11 of 21

Hi, yes I know,

I chose ex-students because it was more fitting to the relaxed manner of the video but the proofreader has decided to change it to alumnis ( amongst a multitude of other changes to my text) . I welcome any valid corrections (especially punctuation) but never mind.

Thanks for your reply

regards Jan

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
12 of 21

@Jan Q wrote:

My client asked me to redo the other files based on the proofreaders 'findings'  but I will refuse and forgo my payment. I will also send my client proof that the 'mistakes' are not actually mistakes but who can go against a proofreader?

Sorry to be so longwinded but now I realise there is nothing to be done and I have lost a client who now clearly thinks I have wrongly translated the texts.  regards Jan

If you're confident that your version is correct, stand your ground. Convince your client that you're the professional, and you know what you're talking about. (I know that's easier said than done, but I would try.) Perhaps this proofreader is an amateur who the client just found on Upwork and has no reason to trust over you.

Ace Contributor
13 of 21

Thank you very much for your reply

regards Jan

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 21

I agree... Your best bet is to convince the client that you are a professional and that the proofreader she is using will undermine her product and waste time. Encourage her to use a proofreader -  better one.

Ace Contributor
Nicola P Member Since: Jun 20, 2015
15 of 21

Hi Jan,

proofreaders have just this bad attitude, they always change random words just to show they have worked, even if the words are synonyms. And this looks like the translator has done a mistake (or many) to someone not understanding the source language, the target language, or both.

There is even a platform online where you can find translation jobs, that gives you a score after a translation, depending on the modifications made by the proofreader. The proofreaders are also translators, so they basically correct anything they want, they lower your score as a translator, and they get the high paying jobs because nobody checks their work.

Some time ago, I have translated into Italian a product listing for Amazon, this was a set of tools used to prepare cocktails. I have been a professional barman for 20 years, so I perfectly know all recipes, tools, and specific jargon. Well, the client came back with my translation proofread and it was awful, everything was changed and so wrong. I told this client about my story as a barman, I suggested to discard that proofread version and just to use my original copy. Now, which one do you think is live on Amazon? Exactly, the proofread one! And this "proofreader", of course, translated all other products for this client obviously using Google Translate for maybe $0.01 per word.

I have a template about this issue, I send this to clients sending back my translations proofread by dishonest proofreaders. I simply explain that in Italian you can say the same thing maybe in 10 different ways (and I am not joking about this!) but the meaning is the same, and that's why I will reject most of the suggested changes.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 21

@ Nicola,

Wow! That is a horrible story! But what a good idea to warn clients. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 21

@Nicola P wrote:

Hi Jan,

proofreaders have just this bad attitude,

Either you forgot to add the word some at the beginning of your sentence or you are dealing with cheap clients.

Professional proofreaders, just like professional translators, don't not engage into this kind of shenanigans.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Nicola P Member Since: Jun 20, 2015
18 of 21

@Rene K wrote:

@Nicola P wrote:

Hi Jan,

proofreaders have just this bad attitude,

Either you forgot to add the word some at the beginning of your sentence or you are dealing with cheap clients.

Professional proofreaders, just like professional translators, don't not engage into this kind of shenanigans.

Yeah, some of them and not all of them, luckily. But still too many Smiley Happy

Ace Contributor
19 of 21

Hi

Thank you for your input. Sorry to hear about your experience. I think that I have been lucky until now!

I'm sure that most proofreaders are not like this however. What I have realised is that translators are accountable for the errors that they make and quite right too. It seems that proofreaders are not. A foreign client can not pick up the unnecessary or wrong changes made to the texts and the translators suffer the consequences.

This was why I contacted the forum because I did not know how to handle the situation.

I feel genuinely sorry for my client because we had a good relationship before this. I have tried to give examples where the proofreader changed correct text into incorrect text  etc but he is a busy man and doesn't want to be in this position, he just wants to get on with his job.

However, there has been no further talk of me redoing the files. What concerns me is the evaluation that I may receive based on the proofreader's findings.

Thanks again

Jan

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
20 of 21

@Jan Q wrote:

Hi

Thank you for your input. Sorry to hear about your experience. I think that I have been lucky until now!

I'm sure that most proofreaders are not like this however. What I have realised is that translators are accountable for the errors that they make and quite right too. It seems that proofreaders are not. A foreign client can not pick up the unnecessary or wrong changes made to the texts and the translators suffer the consequences.

This was why I contacted the forum because I did not know how to handle the situation.

I feel genuinely sorry for my client because we had a good relationship before this. I have tried to give examples where the proofreader changed correct text into incorrect text  etc but he is a busy man and doesn't want to be in this position, he just wants to get on with his job.

However, there has been no further talk of me redoing the files. What concerns me is the evaluation that I may receive based on the proofreader's findings.

Thanks again

Jan

I fear you are likely to be zapped on this one. However, when the contract ends, I think you should leave appropriate feedback too. Don't rant (or write a long screed) but don't play Mrs Nice either. I think you could point out the pitfalls of hiring non-proofreaders - with the alumni example. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS