cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translations - Source vs. Target word counts

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
1 of 7

Do you charge per source or per target word?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 7

Everybody charges per source, German to foreign may be charged per target. I've heard this. Since they put a whole sentence in one word, they'd better charge per target.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Mirjam K Member Since: Sep 7, 2015
3 of 7

I would imagine the German-to-X-thing to be a joke Smiley Very Happy

Otherwise you could do that with English-to-German for example as well because the "leaning forward" in "Leaning forward he...." can be quite a long sentence in German if you want to sound more or less natural ("Als/Während er sich vorbeugte," or "Er beugte sich vor, um...")

Benny B Member Since: May 9, 2015
4 of 7

Normally I charge per source word, although there are cases (handwritten or medical documents for example) where I do charge for target word (it's easier that way).

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 7

From the client's perspective, when I'm setting up a fixed-price contract to translate a fixed number of words, I set the budget based on the source word count. It's a bit hard to set a price for something that doesn't exist yet... I've only ever had one freelancer even give me a target word count when they submitted something. It seems most people in most languages work off source word count. I suppose that you could negotiate the contract to be an estimate based on the source word count with a final milestone or bonus to be paid based on the target word count? Now I'm curious how you would go about setting up a contract based on target word count, Natasha. How would you do it?

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
6 of 7

Now I'm curious how you would go about setting up a contract based on target word count, Natasha. How would you do it?

I would not Smiley Happy

I actually googled about this after creating this topic. In general, people charge per source word. I found out some even charge per line, but this is not common.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 7

I've seen people charging per line, but yes, it's rare. And if someone wants to sell you per target, I would refuse if I were you.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS