cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning trackers on while reading for reference

liezyl joy v Member Since: Jan 3, 2017
1 of 6

Is it okay to turn your tracker on while you have to read on articles for references?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 6

Hi liezyl joy,

Please note that the Desktop app is designed to track and measure a user's computer activity, which might not be appropriate depending on the articles length. You can use the app but note that no activity in a certain time frame will result in not recording a segment, and not getting paid for it. Also, segments with low activity levels are not covered by Hourly Payment Protection, in case an issue arises on the contract. You should get paid for the work you put in on a contract but need to make an arrangement with the client on how to best bill this time, while at the same time using one of our Payment Protection programs.

liezyl joy v Member Since: Jan 3, 2017
3 of 6

Thank you so much Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
4 of 6

I know this was already answered. I just wanted to mention that it might work in some cases if you are taking notes while you read. I did this once when I was conducting a content interview with a client. I typed notes during the telephone interview and the time tracker tracked it as active time. I think it is more challenging for certain types of reading and research -- you might need to ask the client to allow manual time logging.

Ace Contributor
Fanny K Member Since: Dec 10, 2016
5 of 6

That's a really good point. Definitely going to ask for manual time in the future. I am currently working on my first hourly contract which doesn't allow manual time, and to be honest it's a pain. The assignment is to write copy about all these brands, and obviously I have to read about the brands to create the texts. So most of my time for the project is spent researching - the actual writing is pretty quick. It's really annoying since the hours don't seem to log properly.

Jenny W Member Since: Jan 8, 2017
6 of 6

Hi Liezyl!

Researching and reading are important parts of being an effective writer and should definitely be included in your pay. When using the desktop tracker for these types of jobs, it will continue to track your activity and pay you as long as you are active and taking notes. I usually copy and paste the text into a word document and highlight text and write notes in the document as I'm reading. This serves a two-fold purpose - you'll be taking notes that you'll need later, and you'll be keeping the desktop application active. 

Best,

Jenny

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS