cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: '''' Client

Perry P Member Since: May 3, 2019
11 of 32

Yeah, they almost got me today, too.

Was asked by '**' to interview on Goggle Hangouts for the job listing **Edited for community guidelines**.

Started the interview this morning (6am, ugh!) and it immediiately seemed hinky. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Did a quick search, 5 minutes into the interview and found this: https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/332845-new_scam_penguin_random_house-page2.html 

I wouldn't be so mad, except I had to drag my sorry arse out of bed at 5:30 this morning to make the East Coast (or where ever) interview time! Smiley Wink 

I did get a chance to share some rather pointed opinions about Andrew, his work, and his inter-species parentage before he blocked me, tho'...

So there's that!

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
12 of 32

Hi Perry,

Thank you for flagging this to us. I was able to locate the Job Post you're referring to and it has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Perry P Member Since: May 3, 2019
13 of 32

I can't post fake scammer names? LOL

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
14 of 32

Several weeks ago I made a proposal to a job I thought was really interesting and a good fit for me. When I saw the job was with Penguin, I thought that was really terrific. Then when they responded to me and something like 50 others, and wanted me to go to Hangouts, I quickly figured it was a scam & reported it. It got taken down & I got my connects back - but every day I see jobs posted that I believe are by the same people but with different aspects. They all just need to be reported. Upwork does not have the staff to investigate every job that is posted. It is unfortunate, but there just are a lot of scumbags in the world.

Michael E Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
15 of 32

Perhaps Upwork cannot authenticate every posting, but I am quickly coming to the conclusion that this platform is worthless, at least for me. I used Elance for many years and lost all my work history and ratings when Elance and Odesk merged. I never had problems with con artists on Elance and I do not have this problem with any other freelance platform.

Kaila S Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
16 of 32

Did anyone else get contacted by **Edited for community guidelines** for an entry-level virtual/customer service assistant position? I am currently on Google Hangouts chatting with the supposed HR coordinator, and it just seems a bit off to me. They took the job posting down after contacting me and told me that I would be paid directly rather than on Upwork. Has anyone else had a client offer this before? I am a bit wary... Thanks in advance. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 32

Scam.

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
18 of 32

That is a scam. It is not really**Edited for community guidelines**. Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. You risk losing your Upwork account.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
19 of 32

re: "They took the job posting down after contacting me and told me that I would be paid directly rather than on Upwork."

Kaila:

You could have your account suspended for talking to clients (even fake clients such as this one) about taking payment off platform.

For future reference:

All invites to interview using Google Hangouts are from scammers. They want to steal about $3000 from your checking account. They have succeeded in doing so MANY times, which is why they keep using the same scam.

They especially target:

- newbie freelancers (such as yourself)

- entry-level freelancers (such as yourself)

- U.S.-based freelancers (such as yourself)

Highlighted
Kaila S Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
20 of 32

Thank you!! Once we started talking, I felt really uncomfortable with it. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS