Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two spaces or one after a period?

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 44

At the risk of igniting a debate as volatile as the recent Oxford Comma debate - two spaces or one after a period?

I am *just* old enough that my high school was still teaching "typing" rather than "computing", albeit on computers. My typing teacher was an older woman with a remarkably straight back and glasses on a chain, whose husband built little wooden boxes to go over our keyboards so we couldn't peek, and who carried a ruler to rap over our wrists if we dared to rest them on our desks. She strictly enforced the "two spaces" rule, as did the typing program we used to learn.

It took me nearly twenty years to break the habit, but I am finally free of it. I am now a convert to single spacing. It seems this is still controversial, however, judging by this article and its follow-up.

Thoughts?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 44

Sadly, one seems to be accepted by all except old-time die-hards. I don't like the way it looks, but I've finally graduated from searching and replacing the two spaces with one to naturally typing without the "extra" space.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 44

Er, I'm no spring chicken, but it's ages since I typed 2 spaces after a period. It's not just because Word docs don't look too hot with 2 spaces -- I work on websites regularly, and browsers will toss aside extra spaces *unless* you somehow insert a non-breaking space, which is seldom a good idea.

Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
4 of 44

@John K wrote:

Er, I'm no spring chicken, but it's ages since I typed 2 spaces after a period. It's not just because Word docs don't look too hot with 2 spaces -- I work on websites regularly, and browsers will toss aside extra spaces *unless* you somehow insert a non-breaking space, which is seldom a good idea.

I think John nailed it here -- HTML was the nail in the coffin of two spaces after periods. Though for a while back in the 90s I did recall seeing some "double-ampersand-nbsp-semicolons" in documents. Hideous.

I've always hated it, personally, but I just prefer simplicity in most things.

If I'm working long-term with a client and they have two spaces in the style guide, I'll do my best to convince them to change.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
5 of 44

Tiffany S. stated:

Sadly, one seems to be accepted by all except old-time die-hards. I don't like the way it looks, but I've finally graduated from searching and replacing the two spaces with one to naturally typing without the "extra" space.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Tiffany, God willing (or whichever supreme source you may believe in) you will have the opportunity to become an "old-time die-hard."  LOL.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 44

@Pat M wrote:

Tiffany S. stated:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Tiffany, God willing (or whichever supreme source you may believe in) you will have the opportunity to become an "old-time die-hard."  LOL.

Pat, I just saw this. I would definitely consider myself one, having learned to type nearly 40 years ago and having worked in writing-heavy professions for a couple of decades during which two spaces was the norm.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
7 of 44

Tiffany S. stated:

Pat M wrote:

Tiffany S. stated:

Pat, I just saw this. I would definitely consider myself one, having learned to type nearly 40 years ago and having worked in writing-heavy professions for a couple of decades during which two spaces was the norm.

______________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Tiffany, I never would have guessed it.  It appears that you're aging very gracefully; good  for you!  So, you're an old-timer but not die-hard, right?  Woman Wink

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
8 of 44

@Jennifer D wrote:

At the risk of igniting a debate as volatile as the recent Oxford Comma debate - two spaces or one after a period?

I am *just* old enough that my high school was still teaching "typing" rather than "computing", albeit on computers. My typing teacher was an older woman with a remarkably straight back and glasses on a chain, whose husband built little wooden boxes to go over our keyboards so we couldn't peek, and who carried a ruler to rap over our wrists if we dared to rest them on our desks. She strictly enforced the "two spaces" rule, as did the typing program we used to learn.

It took me nearly twenty years to break the habit, but I am finally free of it. I am now a convert to single spacing. It seems this is still controversial, however, judging by this article and its follow-up.

Thoughts?

Which is correct is irrelevant. Just follow your style guide.

"Certa bonum certamen"
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 44

@Jennifer D wrote:

Thoughts?

You must be older than you look. :-)

You know, as a graphic designer ... sometimes it depends on the font. Some fonts look awful with only one space, so I'll use two. With me, it's a visual thing. Otherwise, in general .... I only use one.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 44

@Virginia F wrote:

You must be older than you look. :-)

Thanks Virginia Smiley Wink I think a combination of older than I look plus growing up in a fairly low socio-economic area (although my high school, I hasten to add, was the "good one" in my home town, on the right side of the tracks and everything!).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS