Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two spaces or one after a period?

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 44

@Jennifer D wrote:

, on the right side of the tracks and everything!).

Which is funny since you live in a country where everyone drives on the left side.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 44

I automatically correct double spacing between sentences (and I certainly remember the two-space days!) whatever side of the pond the text comes from!

CMOS (U.S.) has this under 2.77:

"7.  Delete or fix extraneous spaces and tabs, including instances of two or more consecutive spaces (between sentences or anywhere else)."

Hart's Rules (and OSM): "A single word space is used after all sentence punctuation (not a double space, as was conventional in typewritten text)."

However, sometimes, when correcting a paper following the APA style guide, I have been asked to leave the double spacing after a period. APA suggests two spaces for clarity.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 44

One space is the norm but Virginia makes a great point when she addressed the font used.  Most often the visual aspect wins the day ... and use on one or two spaces. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
14 of 44

I use two spaces.  Can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Have never had a client mention it.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
15 of 44

Mary W. stated:

I use two spaces.  Can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Have never had a client mention it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

IMO two should be used.  That's how I originally was taught, and I honestly think it's more aesthetically pleasing that way.  Now I'm going to laugh at myself for my phraseology---as if a period is beautiful-lol!  

Also, oftentimes an old dog can't be taught new tricks; but I've personally learned many of them over the past few years.  Hopefully that will continue.  Woman Wink 

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
16 of 44

Call me sick, but I went through Mary's old replies just to see the two-spaces in all her writings. I never noticed this before, which makes me wonder what else am I missing in this forum. This reminds me of college, no matter how hard I studied there is always that student who knew one extra information which I didn't know exists, and I was always like where the heck did they get this information from.

OK back to focus mode. From now on, I'll spot you two-spacers. 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 44

@Nichola L wrote:

I automatically correct double spacing between sentences (and I certainly remember the two-space days!) whatever side of the pond the text comes from!

CMOS (U.S.) has this under 2.77:

"7.  Delete or fix extraneous spaces and tabs, including instances of two or more consecutive spaces (between sentences or anywhere else)."

Hart's Rules (and OSM): "A single word space is used after all sentence punctuation (not a double space, as was conventional in typewritten text)."

However, sometimes, when correcting a paper following the APA style guide, I have been asked to leave the double spacing after a period. APA suggests two spaces for clarity.

I actually didn't realise any style guides still suggested two spaces. That's interesting, thanks Nichola.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
18 of 44

@Jennifer D wrote:

At the risk of igniting a debate as volatile as the recent Oxford Comma debate - two spaces or one after a period?

I am *just* old enough that my high school was still teaching "typing" rather than "computing", albeit on computers. My typing teacher was an older woman with a remarkably straight back and glasses on a chain, whose husband built little wooden boxes to go over our keyboards so we couldn't peek, and who carried a ruler to rap over our wrists if we dared to rest them on our desks. She strictly enforced the "two spaces" rule, as did the typing program we used to learn.

It took me nearly twenty years to break the habit, but I am finally free of it. I am now a convert to single spacing. It seems this is still controversial, however, judging by this article and its follow-up.

Thoughts?

It depends on the medium and style guide (for me).

For digital media (meaning writing that's intended to be read on computers, laptops, and mobile devices), I use a single space.

My personal writing has always been single spacing (I WAS taught typing via a typewriter, but I don't remember my teacher being fastidious about double spaces between punctuation and the beginning of the next sentence; however, I DO recall the torture of diagramming sentences -- for which I am eternally grateful).

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
19 of 44

@Kat C wrote:

however, I DO recall the torture of diagramming sentences -- for which I am eternally grateful).

^  YES !!!  (Except that I admit to having loved both sentence diagramming and geometry proofs at the time of said "torture." I still do sentence diagrams as a sort of parlor game--e.g., diagramming the first sentence of the U.S. Constitution...)

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
20 of 44

@Janean L wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

however, I DO recall the torture of diagramming sentences -- for which I am eternally grateful).

^  YES !!!  (Except that I admit to having loved both sentence diagramming and geometry proofs at the time of said "torture." I still do sentence diagrams as a sort of parlor game--e.g., diagramming the first sentence of the U.S. Constitution...)

I feel the same way about machine learning algorithms.

Statistics is my "math" so to speak Smiley Wink

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS