cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**UPDATED 06/25/2019**Something Positive for a Change

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
11 of 30

I am also confident to finally be able to work as a fulltime translator this year. I really enjoy to be my own boss (ignoring my kid for the moment) and to stand up for myself.

I started dreaming about a years ago when it became obvious that I would have to take on a job cleaning in an hotel or just stay at home (and receiving more money through the wellfare sytem [which I also sponsered more than I got out of it]) after my parental leave. I was just getting sick and tired doing nothing productive but only had the option work 100% or 0. After the summer holiday I just said heck and started working on my plan.

I am happy about every job I am offered and even happier when I can turn down one because his/her budget is too low. :smile:

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
12 of 30

@Jennifer R

Woop woop! 

And I thought I was the only freelancer in the forum living in Norway. 

Velkommen! Smiley Happy

13 of 30

Just an update. It's been a little over 3 months since I posted this. Things have been going AMAZING y'all! So great, I can't even believe it. I'm managing to network OFF platform as well and will be taking freelance writing work from a company that a former soldier of mine owns (I was in the Army, and I was his sergeant). 

I landed a client on Upwork at my dream rate (at the time. Of course now the dream is higher!). I'm really excited and motivated. In just a few weeks my maternity leave will start, and that is when I'm test driving freelancing full-time. I'll have the security of receiving short-term disability for having my baby, still having my nanny to take care of the other kids, and the little baby if necessary, and trying to pull together enough clients to pay my nanny and my taxes. That is my goal for putting in my two weeks notice! Being able to pay my taxes and my nanny, haha. 

It will be hard, I know. This isn't my first birth (it's my third, and I have four kids), but I'm thinking hard work now for my dream career THIS year. THIS summer. How can I pass that up? 

Community Guru
Ruth B Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
14 of 30

UPDATE:

Baby is here! She arrived on her due date, April 20th! 

I landed my newest big client two days later, and I have some off-platform prospects in the pipeline! The plan is coming together!!!!!!

FB_IMG_1524610832846.jpgEvelyn, my first girl, and last little baby!

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
15 of 30

Evelyn is beautiful - congrats on your first (and only) baby girl!

Ruth, I know I speak for many of us long-time successful freelancers when I yell HOORAY YOU

Without a doubt you are the exception to the norm - a skilled, talented, business savvy, FLer who knows exactly what she is doing.  My bet - you'll more than cover your taxes, nanny, and the occasional incidental.  

Community Guru
16 of 30

ANOTHER UPDATE!!!

I've been meaning to get back on here and update you guys on my progress, but I've been so busy. I've done it!!! I'm at full capacity! I kept raising my rates, and I'm pulling in more than what I need to cover my nanny and my taxes, and maybe a little extra! I'm working with 6 different companies on their content creation and marketing strategy!

I'm really glad I made this thread. I hope everyone who thinks they can't do it sees this progression over months. There are moments of doubt laced in here too, but I just kept going. My daughter will be 8 weeks old this week, and next week, I'm giving notice at my 9-5. NO WAY am I going back! 

I've been looking at the next phase of my professional development. It can really go one of two ways. I open an agency and hire employees (which sounds like too much work, and I wouldn't open an agency on Upwork anyway, no one wants to hire them seems like), or I scale in a different way.

I've decided that I'm going to go the route of online education. I'm in content marketing and strategy (with content creation as a serious part of that; I love to write), and I'm passionate about it. My niche is B2B content marketing, and I know I could create really high-value courses for small-midsized business owners and marketing managers. And maybe others who want to get into content marketing. For this, I may end up hiring a VA once it really takes off (I almost wrote "if it really takes off", but I know I can do this!). 

Alright, I've got client work to get back to! *first time I've ever said this but* Happy Monday!!!

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
17 of 30

@Ruth, I'm really glad that things are working out for you! 

You mentioned in another post/thread that you took Danny Margulies' course. Looking back now, how much of your success can you attribute to the course, and how much of it do think you did for yourself? 

If I'm to hazard a guess, I'd say that you did it all by yourself, and that you didn't need the course as much as you thought you did.Smiley Wink 

Community Guru
18 of 30

Reinier, 

I guess I would say both yes and no to needing the course. Even as I took it, I realized that a lot of it was just changing my perceptions, or understanding how clients think. Stuff like that. I'm a people person, so I think I would've picked it up eventually. Or if I had had a freelancing mentor to show me the ropes, then maybe I wouldn't have felt like I needed his course. 

Danny does say that he learned a lot through trial and error, and I know that taking the course kept me from languishing at the bottom of the barrel in terms of low paying rates. His course highlighted a lot of the mistakes I was probably going to make. My first job on here was a 500-word blog post for $25 and I asked $13/hr on my profile and I struggled to find work. Now I have a full-time income and have my pick of clients. 

So I feel like I had the passion, skill, and strong desire to work for myself. Which you have to have if you're going to be successful. Danny's course gave me the knowledge I needed to position myself properly. His course isn't going to give people talent if they don't have any. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
19 of 30

Whatever his course contains can be acquired for free. Heck, even by reading these forums and talking with seasoned freelancers, those who actually make a lot of money here. Not guys like Danny who take more than $1K from desperate people.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
20 of 30

@Rene K wrote:

Whatever his course contains can be acquired for free. Heck, even by reading these forums and talking with seasoned freelancers, those who actually make a lot of money here. Not guys like Danny who take more than $1K from desperate people.

Agreed. There is the old adage that says- Those who can, do. Those who cannot do, teach. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS