cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Something Positive for a Change

Community Guru
Ruth B Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
1 of 29

I've come to the forums with my own questions and frustrations (although I switched to just my friends when it dawned on me that clients could see the boards), and I wanted to share something good instead. Today, I accepted an offer for a job with a client that gives me confidence I will be able to quit my 9-5 and write full time. 

My goal to work as a freelance writer was really more of a dream until a couple months ago (I started in July, but felt like I gained traction in September/November). I got a client that pays a decent amount for my work and trusts me as the expert (which is refreshing right?). The offer I accepted today though actually pays a bit more per hour than my 9-5. 

A lot of people get on the forums and bash the platform, and while it does have its issues, I will always be grateful I found it and created a profile. 

Community Leader
Mike W Member Since: Sep 28, 2016
2 of 29

This is so refreshing to hear.  Your hard work and persistence is finally paying off and you're achieving your dream.  2018 is going to be your year.  While I usually don't advise quitting your 9-5 based on one contract, I definitely think that you should because based on your profile and experiences with Upwork, you're definitely doing the right thing.  Congratulations! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 29

My goal is to build my reputation here (and elsewhere if those opportunities present themselves) to a point where I don't feel like I'm struggling to get jobs that pay what I'm worth. I think that once I feel that way, I will be able to quit my 9-5 and not worry about negatively impacting my family :-)

Things really started picking up steam once I learned about SEO friendly writing. Once I started marketing myself as a SEO friendly health/fitness writer, I stood out more, and was able to target a more specific clientle. Then I learned more about how blogging supports marketing (when done properly) so I learned about inbound and content marketing. The day I revamped my profile to market my own writing skills from that angle (removing the health and fitness focus) was the exact day I heard from the client who hired me this morning.

So I really feel like I have found my "thing".

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 29

Good for you, Ruth, WELL DONE!

Taking the step from being an employee and part time freelancer 5 years ago was the best thing I ever did. I got to move to my dream country and am doing work that was never on my roadmap (I was never one for roadmaps though Smiley Wink ) Like you I started off just for fun along my full time job, and then leaped into the unknown lol. LITERALLY!

Keep at it! Once you gain traction it gets easier, and don't hesitate to post if you have questions.

Like Mike said: 2018 will be your year!

Community Guru
5 of 29

Petra,

I have to say, your responses (and a few others) to posts have been incredibly educational. If I could kudos your reply more than once I would. I really appreciate the encouragement! I'm pretty close with two of my clients to the $500 mark, which means that Upwork deduction will go down!

I'm happy to be contributing to clients' good experiences on Upwork, basically helping every other hard working freelancer here :-)

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
6 of 29

Congrats Ruth!

Enjoy life without a boss, I know I am! Smiley Happy

7 of 29

I'm trying really hard! I was thinking it would be a couple years off, but I'm wondering now if I can make it happen this year!

Harry H Member Since: Feb 16, 2018
8 of 29

Congrats. I wish I could say the same. Been on Upwork since October and haven't one proposal even looked at. 

Community Guru
9 of 29

Harry, 

I started in July, and I didn't really gain any traction until November/December, and then it wasn't until January when things took off for me. March has been an explosive month of growth and opportunity for me .

Harry H Member Since: Feb 16, 2018
10 of 29

I'm glad March has been good for you. I'll admit I haven't been aggressive in writing proposals. I'm currently working on four screenplays, so my time has been devoted to that more than Upwork. However, after I finish my scripts, I may go back to it again and see what happens. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS