🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Unpleasant client experience
Page options
ecodzana
Community Member

Unpleasant client experience

Dear Community,
this issue I am having is partly also my fault, because I failed to give Feedback to the client in the forseen time period, but I feel like I still owe to somehow mark/share/warn about this unpleasant experience.
I have worked with a client on proofreading an App, it was translated from English to German, and I reviewed/corrected the translation.(Which was most probably a machine-translated text)
The first suspicious thing about this job was that the client asked me to communicate via Google Hangouts, which I sadly agreed to. That was supposed to be only an interview, but I ended up dictating every word of the correction, which she wrote down, so the call lasted over an hour.
After that, I had to rewrite all these changes into an Excel Document, even though I just did that verbally on the call. One other thing is that she asked me to specfically describe and explain all the grammatical changes that I made(which was useless to her, since she has no knowledge of German grammar and syntax). I worked one hour for her, except of course the way too long Hangouts Call.
After that, the client constantly kept sending me individual sentences for me to translate, promising me that I would also get paid for that. 
At this point I realized that this was not alright and ended our communication.
Later on, while giving me Feedback, she starred my Skills and Quality to 4 stars, which was qutie irritating, since she also mentioned that she herself does not speak German and since I only worked an hour for her, it was even more frustrating because it permanently damaged my JSS (I splipped from Top Rated to a 89% JSS).
So my concern is, if there is any way to Flag or let Upwork/other Freelancers know about this situation, because  I failed to give the client a Feedback.
Luckily, my JSS has gone up since than, thanks to many of my satisfied clients, but nevertheless, it was an unpleasant experience.
Thanks in andvance to everyone who reads this long text 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork's deadlines for leaving feedback are hard coded, so your chance to leave feedback for this client is passed.

a_lipsey
Community Member

If you have proof the client was pressuring you to do free work, you could possibly report that. I don't know that much would happen. It's awesome that you want to warn others. I had a  similar situation, different bad behavior but similar in that I wanted to warn others, and in the end I waited too long and really nothing could be done. Just the fact that you've posted here about the specific bad behavior helps to warn others to watch out for that. 

Thank you. 

madcat66
Community Member

The problem is that Upwork urges you to give your rating first - thus, if you give a bad one, the client will give you a bad one. It is absolutely unfair for freelancers. Just happened to me: client made contract, I did the job very fast, no reply, after weeks I asked the client to close the contract, he did, I gave him no rating because of the above mentioned method, he - officially - gave me non, but mysteriously my rating sank from 100 to 98%. No biggy genreally but I am so pissed that upwork is almost always client oriented despite getting the money from the freelancers - I decided to not work for new clients anymore but to stick to those I know. 

Andrea B wrote:

The problem is that Upwork urges you to give your rating first - thus, if you give a bad one, the client will give you a bad one. It is absolutely unfair for freelancers. Just happened to me: client made contract, I did the job very fast, no reply, after weeks I asked the client to close the contract, he did, I gave him no rating because of the above mentioned method, he - officially - gave me non, but mysteriously my rating sank from 100 to 98%. No biggy genreally but I am so pissed that upwork is almost always client oriented despite getting the money from the freelancers - I decided to not work for new clients anymore but to stick to those I know. 

Sorry, but what you are writing is wrong. The feedback is double-blinded and is only published once both parties left a feedback or after 14 day. The client does not know your feedback, therefore there is no revenge there.

jr-translation
Community Member

Dzana E wrote:

Dear Community,
this issue I am having is partly also my fault, because I failed to give Feedback to the client in the forseen time period, but I feel like I still owe to somehow mark/share/warn about this unpleasant experience.
I have worked with a client on proofreading an App, it was translated from English to German, and I reviewed/corrected the translation.(Which was most probably a machine-translated text)
The first suspicious thing about this job was that the client asked me to communicate via Google Hangouts, which I sadly agreed to. That was supposed to be only an interview, but I ended up dictating every word of the correction, which she wrote down, so the call lasted over an hour.
After that, I had to rewrite all these changes into an Excel Document, even though I just did that verbally on the call. One other thing is that she asked me to specfically describe and explain all the grammatical changes that I made(which was useless to her, since she has no knowledge of German grammar and syntax). I worked one hour for her, except of course the way too long Hangouts Call.
After that, the client constantly kept sending me individual sentences for me to translate, promising me that I would also get paid for that. 
At this point I realized that this was not alright and ended our communication.
Later on, while giving me Feedback, she starred my Skills and Quality to 4 stars, which was qutie irritating, since she also mentioned that she herself does not speak German and since I only worked an hour for her, it was even more frustrating because it permanently damaged my JSS (I splipped from Top Rated to a 89% JSS).
So my concern is, if there is any way to Flag or let Upwork/other Freelancers know about this situation, because  I failed to give the client a Feedback.
Luckily, my JSS has gone up since than, thanks to many of my satisfied clients, but nevertheless, it was an unpleasant experience.
Thanks in andvance to everyone who reads this long text 🙂

She might have had another native speaker check your work and came to the conlusion studying a language is not the same as being a native speaker.