🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Upwork hours 0
Page options
joongnam
Community Member

Upwork hours 0

I've used Upwork and earned fair amount of money last year, but my Upwork hours is zero. Probably because I never worked hourly. I've had no hourly contract with clients. I only woked for $s per words. If I continue to do it, my Upwork Hours will still be zero?  If that is the case, clients may have a wrong impression and moreover, some clients require certain limits on Upwork Hours!!!  Does anybody have a similar experience? 

7 REPLIES 7
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Joongnam Y wrote:

I've used Upwork and earned fair amount of money last year, but my Upwork hours is zero. Probably because I never worked hourly. I've had no hourly contract with clients. I only woked for $s per words. If I continue to do it, my Upwork Hours will still be zero?  If that is the case, clients may have a wrong impression and moreover, some clients require certain limits on Upwork Hours!!!  Does anybody have a similar experience? 

Yes. When you work on fixed price contracts, there are no hours recorded. That's the nature of fixed price.

Yes many clients require a minimum of hours. You could convert your $ into hours at your hourly rate, and tell them the equivalent hours in your proposal. Or you could not apply to these jobs, or you could apply and explain what fixed price jobs are. Or you could just apply and not worry about the hours. Or you could start taking hourly jobs. 

Thanks for you comments.

That's exactly what I have been thinking...

I would suggest to Upwork, if I may, that they change their algorithm, so that  the amount of money a freelancer earns is automatically turned into # of hours. That would be a fair way of treating all users.  Would it be too much of asking?

Joongnam Y wrote:

Thanks for you comments.

That's exactly what I have been thinking...

I would suggest to Upwork, if I may, that they change their algorithm, so that  the amount of money a freelancer earns is automatically turned into # of hours. That would be a fair way of treating all users.  Would it be too much of asking?

Yes, it would, because there's no basis of comparison. Hourly rates vary considerably from freelancer to freelancer, and even within a given freelancer's history or scope of work. Moreover, there is absolutely no way Upwork can know how many hours were worked on a given job. Some people with decent-looking fixed prices may actually have worked for peanuts.

What puzzles me more is where you see Upwork showing hours worked to clients. They changed this as a profile default months ago.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

What puzzles me more is where you see Upwork showing hours worked to clients. They changed this as a profile default months ago.

It's still on mine.

I just checked and it is still on mine as well.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

They didn't.

You dreamed that 😉

hours.jpg

Petra R wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

They didn't.

You dreamed that 😉

hours.jpg

Thanks, all, for the correction! Maybe it was one of their famous tests, which are often indistinguishable from dreams of one sort or another.