🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Useful Ressources for Translation Clients
Page options
versailles
Community Member

Useful Ressources for Translation Clients

Translators: Here are some useful resources for your clients from the American Translators Association:

Getting it Right - a guide for translation buyers, available in many languages

Translation Buying a non-commodity - "Failed translation projects are as different as frogs and falcons, but they all have one thing in common. What is it?"

Some may find it useful to add those in their portfolios for clients to see them, or to send them to clients and prospective clients.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
3 REPLIES 3
yitwail
Community Member

Rene, I read only the second document, but the mistranslation examples given were funny in some cases and scary in others.

@John K wrote:

Rene, I read only the second document, but the mistranslation examples given were funny in some cases and scary in others.

That one is scary: "A California manufacturer of medical equipment sold a device in France without a French translation of the instructions for using it, wrongly assuming that all the operators would be fluent in English. In France, French language documentation is required by law. Far worse: patients died from radiation overdoses administered by poorly informed technicians."

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

A french company recently brought out a new minty sweet called Vag Fresh.  The French word for wave (as in the sea) is Vague, so they just shortened it a bit! Smiley Surprised

I really wanted to buy some and send them to my friends but I can't find them in the shops...do you think somebody told them??!!  Smiley LOL