cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does translator mean on Upwork?

Ace Contributor
Chloe F Member Since: Feb 21, 2019
31 of 40
I also only made top rated status last month which changes my calculus somewhat.
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
32 of 40

I quite understand that you are so happy to do the jobs you enjoy that you are willing to do them for a lower price, but try not to go too low, it's not going to help you, now that you've done your beginings on the platform.

I have the same with transcription, I enjoy it so much that I accept jobs I shouldn't, because they are not well paid, but they are a nice break from translation.

Besides you should be getting invitations, which will help you not spend as many connects. Many of my best clients sent me an invitation to begin with.

Ace Contributor
33 of 40

That's so funny, transcription actually is my least favorite 😂 as soon as I had enough clients for other work I stopped applying for transcription jobs. So far I do not receive many invitations which are applicable to my skill set. Often I get the same offer three times and it's something like "We need native Spanish speakers to do voiceover", and I am not native Spanish so I simply turn it down. So far I do save connects by working with long-term clients but I don't know if there is a way to make invitations more accurate?

Community Guru
34 of 40

Well, what I really hate is proofreading. 

The only bad part about transcription is that most clients pretend to believe that it's done miraculously by wonderful dwarfs working day and night in a magic country where you don't have any bills to pay. Other than that, it's like listening to the radio or to a podcast. I've learnt very interesting stuff while transcribing, and if I could get 5/10 minutes a day of transcription, I would forever be in a fantastic mood.

I think the invitations get more to the point once you have done the same type of job a few times. When you search freelancers, for example, with the keywords "English French translator" you are told how many times such and such a freelancer has done that type of job. It's probably linked to some sort of deep learning (I've done a transcription/translation on deep learning Smiley Very Happy).

Ace Contributor
35 of 40
That makes sense so hopefully my invitations will approve with time. Proofreading isn't very challenging but I don't mind doing it and I'm good at it and quick, so it's my best niche so far on Upwork, especially since I can read Chinese. Thanks for sharing your experience! How long have you used the platform?
Community Guru
36 of 40

I've been using Upwork for 3 years, and I must admit that I rather enjoy doing so. The forum makes it a specialy pleasant place to relax and get to know other users.

Now, I have a question for you: how come you can read Chinese?

Ace Contributor
37 of 40
I like languages, I studied abroad in China as well as Spain during undergrad. I speak a little French too 😂. But my Chinese level is nowhere near perfect enough to make translation feasible, but it's enough to help me work with a lot of Chinese clients, I'm able to consult the source text to identify mistakes their translators made - usually it's native Chinese speakers translating Mandarin--> English so a lot of errors with verb use, articles, etc.
Ace Contributor
38 of 40
By the way I thought of something else as far as my rates, I'm less than five years out of undergrad, and hourly I make much more, almost double freelancing as I could at my last office job where I live. So I think that plays into it, if I had ten or twenty years of experience I would have different needs and expectations.
Community Guru
39 of 40

That's probably true. 

Ace Contributor
Irina I Member Since: Nov 4, 2012
40 of 40

This type of behaviour (in which a person doesn't understand the efforts someone else puts into completing a task) is seen in every industry. Nothing shocking there. :/ 

@Petra: I'm also not surprised by the fact that original poster wanted to "test the market" by creating a fake job ad: I've seen it done in the offline world as well. I guess, this is a warning for other freelancers to peel their eyes open as not to get cheated out of their time. Though, I assume that no skilled translator applied for that lowed paid job, and only folks from countries where $1 might actually feed them during 1 day. :/ 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS