🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » When English is the first crazy thing in my l...
Page options
wm27
Community Member

When English is the first crazy thing in my life|Share your experience to gain native-level fluency

Hi Upwork Community,

I want to make myself a native level fluent in English. Is that possible? If so, then please give me the most effective tips to gain the native level fluency in English.

At this moment, I watch Hollywood old movies at least 3 hours each day and write 1000 words anything that my mind wants each day.

I read web article regularly each day and also study high school & college grammar books to improve my English grammar skills.

By the way, I also created a self-hosted blog site to improve my English Writing skills.

Kindly, let me know your valuable thoughts & experiences.

Thanks

Waled Munker

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ahsan-kazmi
Community Member

The more you read the better you write. That's the only formula. Moreover, watch bbc world news and cnn news channels. To achieve native level fluency, you should read standard english literature to collect idiomatic expressions and vocabulary of daily use. I'd recommend PG Wodehouse and Agatha Christie's novel for reading. You will learn a lot from their dialogues and prose. But it is a fact that it will take time. You cannot achieve native level fluency overnight.

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
ahsan-kazmi
Community Member

The more you read the better you write. That's the only formula. Moreover, watch bbc world news and cnn news channels. To achieve native level fluency, you should read standard english literature to collect idiomatic expressions and vocabulary of daily use. I'd recommend PG Wodehouse and Agatha Christie's novel for reading. You will learn a lot from their dialogues and prose. But it is a fact that it will take time. You cannot achieve native level fluency overnight.

petra_r
Community Member

@Md.Waled B wrote:

Hi Upwork Community,

I want to make myself a native level fluent in English. Is that possible?

No, you will never be "native" but you may be able to reach a bilingual level if you move to an English speaking country and live there for many years or decades. This would mean speaking ONLY English until you start thinking and dreaming English only. It takes many years, and when you start with pretty basic skills such as yours are now, it will take longer.

However, you were told this previously.

I also see you are still fraudulently claiming to be fluent in English on your profile, even though you know fully well  that this is an out and out lie.

wm27
Community Member

Hi, my dear elder sister Petra R,

It’s too **Edited for Community Guidelines**, and I already told you that showing fluent level English on the freelancer's profile may be a mandatory part for the people whom English is the second language.

Sister Petra, I am still not fraudulently claiming to be fluent in English on my profile, and I already mentioned the exact reason above.

Rather,you can show me the ways to make myself that level, you are now today.

Thanks

Waled Munker

petra_r
Community Member

@Md.Waled B wrote:

Hi, my dear elder sister Petra R,

Sister Petra, I am still not fraudulently claiming to be fluent in English on my profile,

Rather,you can show me the ways to make myself that level,

First of all, I am not your sister.

Secondly, you are still fraudulently claiming to be a fluent English speaker.

I HAVE told you how you can achieve it: Live in an English speaking country for many years and study.

Even then you will not be a native speaker, but maybe, after a decade or two, you might get to bilingual (not everyone does)

@Md.Waled B wrote:

I am still not fraudulently claiming to be fluent in English on my profile....

Yes. You are. Whether that is because you do not understand what fluency is or are blind to the limitations of your barely conversational English doesn’t matter. Your claim of fluency is not true. It is contrary to fact. That is perfectly obvious to any native, bilingual, or fluent English speaker who reads more than a sentence of your writing. To persist in this misrepresentation is a lie, and in the context of business it is fraudulent.

versailles
Community Member

@Md.Waled B wrote:

showing fluent level English on the freelancer's profile may be a mandatory part for the people whom English is the second language.

Yo my man Waled. You're wrong brotha, that's plain stoopid. If ya ain't fluent, don't say you are. That's bad juju. It's lying. What your book says about lying, bro?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
JoanneP

Hi Md. Waled,

You can only be a native English speaker if you have been born or living in an English speaking country for several years. Achieving a native level in English is not something you can acquire by studying the language alone; however, it will definitely help you improve your knowledge in terms of grammar and conversing in English. It's good that you are immersing yourself to be familiar with the language by including it in your daily activities and studying further.You can also take the English tests on Upwork for freelancers. Please click on Tests found under Find Work.

~ Joanne
Upwork
e_luneborg
Community Member

Why do you think that the replies in this thread will be any different than in your old thread? 

You are not a native/bilingual English speaker, and you never will be unless you are willing to do as Petra suggests and move to an English speaking country for the next 30 years. You could however get to a level where you could claim to be fluent, but even that will not happen over night. 

And this statement of yours: "showing fluent level English on the freelancer's profile may be a mandatory part for the people whom English is the second language."

That's just ridiculous. If it would be mandatory to be fluent in English your profile would never have been approved in the first place, and there would not be an option to choose "basic" and "conversational" as English level. 

@mods – When you see profiles like this, that are claiming fluent in English but are obviously not, why don't you just suspend them? Why are they allowed to keep false information on their profiles? You should implement a feature where Upwork can change the English level on a profile, and block the possibility for freelancers to change it back. 

@Eve L wrote:

@mods – When you see profiles like this, that are claiming fluent in English but are obviously not, why don't you just suspend them? Why are they allowed to keep false information on their profiles? You should implement a feature where Upwork can change the English level on a profile, and block the possibility for freelancers to change it back. 

As lying about one's skills on a profile is a serious policy violation, sooner or later some client (or freelancer) will report him, and if his JSS doesn't get him before that happens, that'll solve the issue by itself.

luce-neidert
Community Member

Hi MD Waled!

I'm like you, I decided when I was about 11 that English was a cool langage and started doing a lot to get good at it. 

I'm still learning... and although I'm not too bad, there is room for improvement. 

Me too, I advise you to listen and watch BBC stuff, read as much as you can and all. Try to communicate with English speakers, either by talking or writing (which you are doing on this forum...). 

Don't pay attention to people like Petra and René, just go your own way, you will never be a native speaker but you can get very good at English.

@Luce N wrote:

Don't pay attention to people like Petra and René, just go your own way,

Generally I would agree. Everyone needs to make their own decisions, and decide for themselves what they want to do.

However, what you are basically saying here is: "Carry on lying to your clients and carry on failing."

If someone is not doing well while "going their own way" and they are asking advice, then telling them to ignore people who give correct advice based just on the fact that you don't like them is not doing them a favor.

87dd1477f1d623c06931cf24aadcd3fb

Petra, what I mean is that the author of this post is telling us of his wish to reach a high level of English, which I think is very noble. Nobody would ever achieve anything without first having a dream.

What he wants this high level of English for is not my problem, I'm not a member of the Upwork police, nor are you.

@Luce N wrote:

Petra, what I mean is that the author of this post is telling us of his wish to reach a high level of English, which I think is very noble. Nobody would ever achieve anything without first having a dream.

What he wants this high level of Englisg for is not my problem, I'm not a member of the Upwork police, nor are you.

I think we could need something like "Upwork police", and my vote would go to Petra. 🙂

And I don't think anyone minds that the OP wants to improve his English. The point is that he claims to be fluent now. Maybe that will be true in a couple of years, but right now it's not.

Eve, I do mind about someone trying to improve, as a human being I think it is touching to see someone decide to better himself or herself. 

That's probably because I'm a gardener - I like to watch things develop!

Well, I think Petra should leave it to Upwork to decide what they'll do about the Upwork police. Smiley Very Happy

Hi,

Ok, look at my profile, and now, I am showing the basic level English option instead fluent level.

Thank you all.

husainaa
Community Member

@Md.Waled B wrote:

Hi,

Ok, look at my profile, and now, I am showing the basic level English option instead fluent level.

Thank you all.

You did the right thing, once again 🙂

petra_r
Community Member

@Md.Waled B wrote:

Hi,

Thank you all.

You went from one extreme to the other. your english has improved a lot over the months and perfectly qualifies as "conversational" - No need for knee-jerk reactions.

You will find that it will help you because you'll soon end up getting that "verified" with a little blue tick when enough clients confirm that.

Well done. honesty is the best policy and one of the most successful strategies of any freelancer is "underpromise and over-deliver!"

If you like British English, watch nature documentaries by David Attenburgh. Not only are they fascinating, the English is incredible. Look out for "Planet Earth"

husainaa
Community Member

@petra_r wrote:.

You will find that it will help you because you'll soon end up getting that "verified" with a little blue tick when enough clients confirm that.

The "verified" symbol is already there on his profile 🙂
petra_r
Community Member

@husain A wrote:

@petra_r wrote:.

The "verified" symbol is already there on his profile 🙂

For "basic" - Yes. It might be there for "Conversational" as well, until he sets it to "Conversational" he won't know.

wm27
Community Member

Hi, Petra

So, will I also be able to show the "Conversational" Level English option on my profile, Petra?

Thank you, and please let me know it.

petra_r
Community Member

@Md.Waled B wrote:

Hi, Petra

So, will I also be able to show the "Conversational" Level English option on my profile, Petra?

Thank you, and please let me know it.

Not both "basic" AND "conversational" but your English is better than basic I would say, it's "conversational with an improving tendency" so sure, set it to that!

wm27
Community Member

Hi, Petra

Thank you so much for letting me knows your valuable thoughts, and from today, you are one of my useful friends. By the way, Petra, we are in the same boat, but you know everything about the boat, and I am behind of you according to your knowledge & experiences about the boat. Maybe one day, we will be equal by knowledge & experience about the boat, and I wish it will happen at the right time that I am expecting now.

Petra, you don’t know how much times nowadays I am spending after the boat (English language)!

Thanks, Petra.

Waled Munker

Waled,

In the short time you’ve been here, you have indeed shown marked improvement in your English, your understanding, and in an attitude that is likelier to lead to success.

One example is your boat analogy: apt, amusing, and well-expressed.

By all means choose “conversational” as your English skill level. Best wishes for your success here and in life!

Michael

petra_r
Community Member

Md.Waled B wrote:By the way, Petra, we are in the same boat, but you know everything about the boat, and I am behind of you according to your

I don't know anywhere NEAR all about any boat... We just keep learning as long as we live 😉

Did you see the nice blue "verified" tick next to English: Conversational?

wm27
Community Member

Yes, Petra, I saw it on my profile.

Thank you, Petra.

husainaa
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

For "basic" - Yes. It might be there for "Conversational" as well, until he sets it to "Conversational" he won't know.

Oh, Yeah. I agree, I think he can have it on conversational no problem.

@Luce N wrote:

Eve, I do mind about someone trying to improve, as a human being I think it is touching to see someone decide to better himself or herself. 

I think it's "touching" that you think someone who has blatantly misrepresented his skills to trick clients and then asked how he can "become" native is making an effort to better himself. 

@Tiffany S wrote:

I think it's "touching" that you think someone who has blatantly misrepresented his skills to trick clients and then asked how he can "become" native is making an effort to better himself. 

Tiffany, I'm not talking about his desire to trick or not clients, and as I'm not in his mind, I don't really know whether he meant to trick or not the clients. I'm only talking from the point of view of someone who  loves languages and understands his desire to improve his skills.

@Luce N wrote:

I'm only talking from the point of view of someone who  loves languages and understands his desire to improve his skills.

The way you specifically singled out Rene and myself (none of the others) as people who should be ignored would indicate that you posted from the "point of view of someone" who simply wanted to take a cheap dig at people you don't like....

Nobody didn't applaud his desire to learn, in fact that was made perfectly clear. The objection was to claiming skills he knew he doesn't have.

Maybe wind down your off topic personal vendetta. (Or carry on, frankly I could not care less... It says more about you than your targets)

Petra, it's probably because at the time only you and René had answered the post, and I was shocked by the way you were treating its author.

It has nothing to do with liking you and René or not. As a matter of fact, apart from the fact that you can be very tactless, I quite like you and your posts. Most of the time René is very amusing, but here I thought his joke was a bit too cruel.

Point taken, Luce. Our reaction was spilling over from several other threads on the same subject and must have looked out of context to someone who didn't know the history.

My claws usually come out very gradually and only after all else failed. Unlike my cats'...

Friends again?

🙂

Yes, friends. I'm a bit like you as far as claws are concerned....Smiley Happy

@Luce N wrote:

Most of the time René is very amusing, 

What do you mean amusing? You mean I'm funny? Funny how?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Luce N wrote:

Petra, it's probably because at the time only you and René had answered the post, and I was shocked by the way you were treating its author.

It's all about the context, Luce. The discussion had started long before this thread was posted. If you read the previous threads and get some context, you will realize that René actually treated the matter lightheartedly. Beside that, Miscommunication and misunderstanding are almost certain to happen in online conversations. For this reason, I like to remind myself everytime I have a discussion with someone that everybody here has nothing but good intentions.

petra_r
Community Member

@husain A wrote:

@Luce N wrote:

Petra, it's probably because at the time only you and René had answered the post,

It's all about the context, Luce. The discussion had started long before this thread was posted.

Actually Luce could not have known that and if she had known it she could not have been expected to have known it. Luce and I don't always agree but I certainly see where she was coming from.

husainaa
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

Actually Luce could not have known that and if she had known it she could not have been expected to have known it. Luce and I don't always agree but I certainly see where she was coming from.

I like that.

@husain A wrote:

It's all about the context, Luce. The discussion had started long before this thread was posted. If you read the previous threads and get some context, you will realize that René actually treated the matter lightheartedly. Beside that, Miscommunication and misunderstanding are almost certain to happen in online conversations. For this reason, I like to remind myself everytime I have a discussion with someone that everybody here has nothing but good intentions.

Well, I knew about the other thread. Also knew that for some reason many people here find it necessary to humiliate people whose English is not great, and I can't stand that.  

@Luce N wrote:

@husain A wrote:

Well, I knew about the other thread. Also knew that for some reason many people here find it necessary to humiliate people whose English is not great, and I can't stand that.  

While some people seem to just like to taunt those with challenges, the vast majority of people who call out freelancers in these circumstances are doing them a favor. The real cruelty comes from those who want so badly to see themselves as the nice/good guy that they mislead people, encouraging them to waste time and travel down a fruitless path.

When that person has failed completely and is broke and discouraged, that person who offered false encouragement is usually fortunate enough not to be around to witness her handiwork.

@Luce N wrote:

I know what you mean. And as far as I'm concerned, you're coming from a good place.